• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore elite still not running

strat37

Premium Member
Hello
I have read through many posts and all of it is very helpful. Her is my problem, I own a Kenmore Elite evenheat (electric) model number is from Canada "C62932", the dryer stopped working out of the blue, no problems prior. The sympton was that the "PTS"button wouold not engage as so many others had the problem. Sure enough the board was fried in the usual spots, so I put in a new one..no luck...switched the relays...no luck..tested PTS button for continuity (good to go). OK so now I'm stumped as to what it is and I do not want to randomly swap parts. Just to confirm the motor runs still while you hold the button but stops when released. I was thinking the thermal fuse, but wouldn't that prevent the dryer from running period? Anyway any help is appreciated as my wife wants this fixed.

Thanks you!

Strat 37

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you might have either a bad motor or bad motor switch. When you push the switch to start the dryer, the motor is running on start windings. The centrifical (motor) switch then switches to the run windings. The run windings could be open (bad motor) or the points in the switch could be stuck together.

strat37

Premium Member
Hi
Thanks for the relpy, the motor makes no unusual noises or anything, I did swap the relays, which froom what your telling me is not the problem. The first cause was the board itself as it was fried, so what are the chances the moter went at the same time? couldn't be the Thermister? if it is the motor how shoould I check this?

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
Sometimes we appliance techs rely on the process of elimination. Going by what you've told me, the parts you checked and the ones you replaced, the only thing left is the motor. You can remove the two screws on the motor switch and it will come apart. You will be able to see the points. If they are stuck together you might be able to break them apart and clean them with some sandpaper.

strat37

Premium Member
Hello again

I was reading a little more about the heater relay, now it tells me that it should read 48 VCD when connected to the two pink wires. Just to be certain I tried this again, when I hooked up the meter, plugged it in and pushed the start button, the reading was 0. So if it not reading 48 VCD, then is it non-serviceable? or am I doing something wrong, because I did swap the two (heater and start relay) and there was no difference. Here is where I read this:
http://www.applianceaid.com/evenheat.html

Thanks again for your time

Strat37

rickgburton

Staff member
I would say it's not the relay since you switched relays and it didn't work. Another thing could be a bad Even Heat Control even though it's new I have seen new ones bad from the factory although not very common. Run the damp dry test and then the thermister test. http://www.applianceaid.com/evenheat.html

strat37

Premium Member
Hello again
Ok I did the first test, damp dry. The timer did advance but it took from 3-4 minutes for this to happen and there was no beep, I also conducted the follow on diagnostic test, which did nothing. Which leads into the component test. I think it stems back to the motor as you stated before, not sure. As I want to check the power, I need to access the motor. Looking at the motor it is on the bottom, left hand side, behind the black cover, which removes but once that is off, how do I access the motor as I can;t get past the rest of it, I don't want to rip something off accidently, the dryer is 3 years old, access from the back looks like the way however it is welded on the bottom, so how would I access it so I can check the terminal block. Any other help is appreciated.

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member
I have a hard time looking up Canadian built Kenmore model numbers. Sometimes they show up and other times they don't. The model number you supplied doesn't show up anywhere. So I'm going to need some information to determine what style you have before I can tell you how to take it apart. First, tell me where the lint filter is. Is it in the door or on top of the machine? Next is there a lower panel below the door? Can you remove it? Where is the motor if you're standing in front of the dryer facing it. Last, in the link you sent me about the even heat control there is a picture of the back of a dryer with the back panel removed showing the thermistor. Does yours look like that?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, update, I have four Kenmore dryers with evenheat and they are all the same style. So I'm going to assume yours is the same. To access the motor; First, pull the end caps off of the console.They will pop off. Remove the two philips screws on each side. The console will lean back out of the way. Remove the screws holding the back panel to the top. The top will slide forward and off. Remove the lower front panel. On the upper front panel, remove the two screws on the top and the two screws on the bottom. Disconnect the door switch wires and remove the front panel. The lint filter and lint filter housing will come off with it. Take the belt off of the idler pulley and remove th drum. You now have access to the motor.

strat37

Premium Member
Hello
Thanks for the response, I actually figured out how to get it apart prior to the post. I looked at the motor and sure enough there was a few wires with signs of corrosion on them, so I cleaned them off and tried the dryer again. Low and behold everything works fine, hopefully the dryer will remain working for some time to come. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my problem, as I know yoou are helping many others. I will defiinately use this forum again and recommend it to others.

Strat 37

:D