Kenmore elite will not run

sirbergersworth

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi all,
I have a kenmore elite electric dryer that has me baffled. The thermal fuse shows no resistance, the Thermistor reads 10k ohm at room temp (70-80 deg F), The Thermostat shows continuaty and the thermal cut off fuse shows not resistance.
When I put the machine in diagnostic mode, all lights are lit. I do not get any errors pressing all the buttons as described in the tech sheet.
I am at a loss as to how to proceed to troubleshoot this thing. The board inside the control panel appears to be OK with no burned out components.
When you try to start the dryer it makes a clicking sound (relay?) and beeps once (like it would during normal operation), but doesnt start the cycle.
drum doesnt turn, no fan or heat.

Any help with direction would be helpful.
I hope to not have to replace this thing.

Thanks a bunch,

Rob

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Power to the unit been tested? 220-240 volts AC from red to black, 110-120 volts AC from red or black to white.
Door switch checked? Broke nbelt switch been checked?

jeff.

sirbergersworth

Premium Member
I would test the voltage where the power cable from wall screw into harness correct? I have 236 vac from red to black and 116 from red to white.

The washer makes a different beep sequence when the door is open and you try to start. I assumed this would mean a good switch there. i did just check it and this checks out fine with dmm.

Now I have to figure out how to get to the belt switch! ugh its really in there.

thanks a bunch

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member

sirbergersworth

Premium Member
I tested the belt switch and without pushing the switch I get full continuity. With button pressed I get no continuity, none whatsoever. The tech sheet inside the back cover said it should go from infinite to a few ohms. is the switch bad?

Thanks again

jeff1

Staff member
No continuity when tripped, has continuity when set for running....should show a few ohms....a quick test is to join the two wires together ( testing only! ).

jeff.