Kenmore - Frezzer and Ice maker not working

mrhtran1

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My side by side Frezzer and Ice maker not working, but can feel cool air in other side (refrigerator side). No frost build up, no clicking noise, could it be the compressor start device relay gone bad (from reading Jake
Appliance Tech - Admin answer in other post)
? but if that relay bad should it shutdown compressor and no cooling at all in the frig side? is that relay control both Frezzer and Ice maker? or ice maker is another issue?

mrhtran1

Premium Member
More info: both Freezer and Ice maker go bad at the same time, the day after we accidental left the door for the Freezer open.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So the compressor in the back is running, but no cooling at all in either side?

You pulled your refrigerator out from the wall and removed the lower back access panel and put your hand on the compressor? Is the compressor warm and vibrating?

If not, then Yes, its possibly your compressor relay. I'd unplug your refrigerator and remove it, then shake it, if it rattles at all inside then its bad.

Here's the compressor relay for your model:
Manufacturer part number 4357156 is RepairClinic item number 577548

Jake
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

mrhtran1

Premium Member
Hi Jake, Freezer have cool air but not cold enough, other side (refrigerator side) is blow cool air fine (same cool air as freezer side), so both side have cool air that enough cool for 1 side but not cold enough for freeze side. That means compressor working, so it not the relay, then what control freeze side?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your compressor is starting to go bad.

Remove the back panel inside the freezer and look at your evaporator coils, normal would be a thin layer of frost on them ALL.

Jake

mrhtran1

Premium Member
Hi Jake, remove the back panel inside the freezer and the evaporator coils have thin layer of frost on top of the coil, but the coil is just same tempature as the blow cooling air. Is there something else I can check? do you have the link to it manual?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then if the frost is just on the top of the coil and not on all the coil, then its a bad compressor.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake

mrhtran1

Premium Member
Hi Jade, I call and have service man come to look and troubleshoot to see what wrong with it, and with compress still running, no noise, no frost in the coil, it have cool air, just not cold. So the problem is low on Freone. I pay him for the troubleshooting. So is there the kit I can buy to recharge it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, consumer's can not work on the sealed system, you need to be a licensed refrigeration tech.

Jake