• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore fridge not cooling enough

dooner24

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore fridge 795.76203.901 is 9 years old and is only cooling partially for both fridge and freezer. I ran the fridge tests and it controls the evap fan/condenser fan/ compressor/ and defrost cycle without issue. There are also no codes shown on the digital display when I initiate. The evap/condenser fans are both working fine, and are clean/not blocked. I can hear/feel the compressor running and the top of it reads at 125 degree F. The evaporative coils are not very warm, only 75 degrees F.. The evaporative coil in the freezer is only showing frost the first few inches (pictured) at 28 degrees F. then shortly after no cooling (59 degrees). When I unplugged the fridge I can hear refridgerant bubbling so I know I have some, just don't know the pressure. Could there be a block in the evaporative tube/coil??? Or is the compressor just shot? Any ideas how to test more? Thank you in advance.

dooner24

Premium Member
Here's the temp readings on the evap coil
20211227_085139.jpg
20211227_085153.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a sealed system problem, seen this many times on my service calls.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake

dooner24

Premium Member
Thank you Jake, I appreciate your expertise. I think it's the compressor, it now has an oscillating sound frequency every half second or so. Refrigerator shopping today!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake