Kenmore Gas Dryer 110.70222510: Timer not advancing on Auto Dry

Kyle C

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi there - Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I have a Kenmore Gas Dryer 110.70222510 that is heating and running on Auto Dry, but the timer is not advancing. I’d love to diagnose as the dryer seems to be working great other than the timer in Auto Dry mode.

I’ve done some testing and this is what I’ve found:

1) Timed Dry is running and heating properly and timer is advancing properly.
a) Timer motor showing ~115 volts

2) Auto Dry (More, Normal, Less selections) is running with heat, however timer is not advancing.
a) Timer motor only showing a constant 6-8 volts.
b) Observed the flame for about 20 minutes with dryer set to “Auto Dry More”. During this time, heat cycled on and off about every 1.5 minutes and the flame lit every time the igniter attempted to ignite.

3) Auto Dry (if set just past “Less” setting in wrinkle shield section) does advance the timer.
a) Timer motor receiving ~115 volts.

4) Ohmed out Timer and all contacts showed correct closed or open according to tech specs.

5) Ohmed out thermal cutoff, hi-limit, and operating thermostat. All showed resistance.

6) Housing is pretty clean and vent is clean.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions on what to check next.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Without a complete model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts follow the link “How to find a model number”

rickgburton

Staff member
Set the machine on auto dry regular and unplug the machine. Access the timer and take the following continuity tests on the timer. Remove at least one of the wires

T - F = open
T - X = closed
C - H = open
C - B = closed
C - A = closed

WPW10436302 Timer
whirlpool-timer-snap-in-wpw10436302-ap6021392_03_m.jpg

Kyle C

Premium Member
Hi Rick - I was finally able to get in to check the continuity readings on the timer and everything looks correct. I'm going to set my tenant up with a new dryer so I can spend a proper amount of time digging into the problem.

Greatly appreciate you're help and certainly welcome any additional suggestions for once I'm able to dig deeper.

Cheers!
Kyle

rickgburton

Staff member