Kenmore gas dryer 417.91122310 - Randomly quits running / pauses

relmeks

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,
I have a Kenmore gas dryer that is about 4 years old. Paid decent money for the dryer.
Started having issues about 2 years ago where the dryer would not heat.
After quick inspection, found that the dryer safety thermostat was blown (#137539200).
Replaced that and dryer worked for another year. No big deal.

Then dryer wouldn't heat again. Found safety thermostat was blown yet again!
Decided that perhaps operating thermostat (#137116700) or dryer thermistor (#134587700) was bad/out of range so I replace these 2 parts along with the safety thermostat. While I had the dryer tore apart again, decided to replace igniter (#137524000) and radiant sensor (#5303281135).
5 new parts. Done. A little ticked, but ok.

Dryer worked for about a few months, then started doing this thing where is runs for a while, then randomly loses power, flickers off (all LEDs off, no heat, no spin), then back on, and into "PAUSE". This all happens in about 1-2 seconds.
When I say loses power, the symptoms match a complete lose of power. I can replicate the issue by briefly unplugging the power cord while the dryer is running, then plug it back in. So it was like the system completely loses power, not like a safety fuse is going/gone. In those cases, the board is still powered and the dryer continues to run for a while without heat. Even a faulty door switch just causes the dryer to stop spinning, but it doesn't cause the entire board to go out.

So I decided that the board must be bad. New board installed (#137070890). Not very happy at this point. Board expensive.
Didn't solve the issue. Still does the same bloody thing.
Downloaded wiring diagram and realize there is another safety on the exhaust, that if faulty, could cause a complete power interruption to the main board. It's called the exhaust thermal fuse. If this fuse has an intermittent connection, it could explain my issues. New fuse installed (#134711401). While I was at it, I also installed a new humidity sensor (#134786110) thinking that I had FINALLY solved the issue.

Test ran the dryer and still have the same intermittent power loss, into PAUSE.

I am at a complete loss. So much so that I bought a new pistol (was looking for an excuse) and I plan to go outside tomorrow and shoot this God forsaken dryer full of holes....then I realized that I just installed a few hundred dollars worth of parts in this horrible dryer, so I won't do that yet. But I still have a new pistol.

Tried powering dryer on different outlet - no fix.
Tried punching this awful dryer - no fix.
Tried standing on dryer and jumped up and down - no fix.

This thing is an absolute terd.

Any ideas what else I could replace to solve the issue?
Thanks.

relmeks

Premium Member
Forgot one thing before everyone suggests it - yes I did check the exhaust vent. Was never any obstruction in the exhaust. Clean as a whistle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like you have a frayed wire that's shorting out when it completely loses power, check every inch of your wire harness to look to make sure no wire insulation has come off to cause a short.

That's all it can be at this point.

Jake