• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore gas stove - unknown ca 1985-90 knob settings and operation info needed

shambles

Premium Member
Model Number
unknown
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Another new user, looking for information!

I just bought a house, and it has this Kenmore gas oven, ca. 1985-90 I think (based on web searches finding a few fuzzy low-res sears catalog photos!).
But: I don't know the model - I lifted the stove top and saw a label on the left sloping side but all the information has been 'cleaned' off over the years!

I'm could be in contact with the previous owners, but slowly by mail (the real estate agent of course prevented any actual contact).

Here are a couple of admittedly not great photos - other identifiers are that it has oven, clean, and lock LED lights on the upper panel and the sliding door lock.
However it is missing the 'selector' knob next to the oven temperature knob; poking around the web it seems that the knob probably was marked some combination of time, bake, clean, broil, preheat... but I don't know which and the knob turns continuously (rather than stopping at min * max spots).
I managed to get it to heat the other day; by turning the knob and setting the temperature, but clearly this is crude operation... The stove burners on top work fine.

Other than the scratched panel behind the stove top knobs (which could be repainted or covered in other material) it looks good, and has the electric starters rather than a pilot light and has logical controls (once I figure them out) and is free of electronic displays & buttons (which confuse me more the older I get) so I'd like to keep it working. I assume since it's older it's also well-made.

The sliding door lock thing is a little weird but an OK compromise... The timers I am still figuring out...

Any idea where I can find more info on the operation, any sort of repair manual, anything?

Is this the sort of thing a small-town appliance repair person would be familiar with?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• izr_TG60014.jpg
    izr_TG60014.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 15
  • iczr_TG60009.jpg
    iczr_TG60009.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 13
  • izr_TG60477.jpg
    izr_TG60477.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, without a model number we're dead in the water. Take a picture of the model tag and post it here. Open the door and look around the oven frame for the model tag. The selector switch shouldn't "freewheel" around like the thermostat. There should be a distinct stop at each selection. If the clock doesn't work now it probably won't work unless you replace it. If you can find it. The bake and clean function goes through the clock. That part is most likely OK. Push in the start time knob and turn it all the way around until it pops out, Do the same with the stop time.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Besides posting some pictures (from various angles) of the model number tag, you can also look on the electrical parts (thermostat, selector switch, clock, etc.) for part numbers. There's a slim chance they might be traced back to one (or a couple) of models that could be investigated for possible compatible parts. The more part numbers you can get, the better the chance of tracing them.

Dan O.

shambles

Premium Member
Wow, that was fast. One clarification, the selector switch does stop at 'positions', but doesn't have a 'all the way clockwise' or vice-versa, so I can't tell how many distinctive stops (or settings) there are. I'll try and take more pix. So there's no easy way to see a list of models they made in that period and search pictures then?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There's no way to see pictures of models made, at all, easy or hard. You could try searching for old magazine ads but I wouldn't count on therm giving accurate model numbers.

There might be numbers printed on the back of the thermostat knob too which might also be useful. The more numbers, the better the chance but still only slim a chance.

doesn't have a 'all the way clockwise' or vice-versa, so I can't tell how many distinctive stops

Put a pointer on the shaft and turn it 360 degrees and see how many places it stops.

Dan O.

Last edited: