FIXED Kenmore HE3 Dryer won't start, 3 beeps, shows error code 1E

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,
I have a Kenmore Elite HE3 dryer (Model # 110.84836201) which has stopped working all of a sudden.
When I pick a cycle, the time duration appears (e.g, 44 minutes) on the console, but as soon as I select the start button, I hear 3 consecutive beeps, the timer on the console starts flashing, but the dryer won't start.
I have tried to get into the Diagnostic Test mode, but instead of 88 appearing, it shows "1E" instead.
I ran into this exact same problem about 3 years ago, and when the SEARS repairman showed up, he simply "adjusted and realigned" the front door of the dryer by simply jiggling, twisting and pushing the door around a bit and the dryer started working.
He said that these doors are very sensitive and if any weight is put on these doors (children hanging off the door as if it were a swing, not a situation in my case though), the alignment gets messed up. He also told me that if I continue to see the same problem, the door switch should be replaced.
Well, after the magic shoving and pushing of the door, the dryer has run fine for almost 3 years now, and I tried all sorts of pushing & shoving on the door, but no success.

As per the SEARS repairman's suggestion, I have also replaced the door switch and wire assembly, but that hasn't fixed the problem.

I have tried to get into the Diagnostic Mode of the dryer, but instead of 88, it shows 1E and all the lights are lit up.
For a split second I see 88 appear before 1E appears.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

Last edited:

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your quick response.
The error code is a "1E" not "E1"
Also, the 1E error code only shows up when I attempt to get into the Diagnostic mode, where I should really be seeing a "88" if I have successfully entered into the Diagnostic mode (as per the service manual)
Otherwise there are no error codes that appear on their own, unless I press the key sequence to get into the diagnostic mode.

Thanks,
Bobby

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I got...

E1 THERMISTOR OPEN “E1”flashes if the thermistor is open.

3 beeps often was a bad themistor.

If not, check the tech sheet inside the unit.

jeff.

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the prompt response !!! You guys are AWESOME for responding so quickly !!
I have gone over the Tech Sheet that I found inside the unit, and that is where I learned the key sequence to get into the diagnostic mode.

While performing the "Door Switch Test", as identified in the Tech Sheet, I came across these references to Error Codes (0E, 0G, 1E, 2G) and it states that the wire and door switch assembly should be replaced.
I have replaced the door switch, based on the "1E" error code but still the problem persists.

Any other suggestions !!

Thanks,
Bobby

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it has to be that thermistor as Jeff stated.:)

Jake

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake & Jeff,
Thanks again for your responses!!

Is there a specific test that I can do before oredering the thermistor to see if infact it is the defective part ?
Can I jumper the 2 contact points on the thermistor (black & red cables) for a short duration and see if the dryer will turn on ?

With the power unplugged, I measured the resistance of the thermistor using a multi-meter and it reads at ~ 6000 ohms.

Most of the "bad thermistor" posts and threads that I have read here indicate that by holding down the start button, the dryer will atleast start.
But, in my case all that happens is that there are 3 rapid beeps and the timer value starts flashing and continues to flash, but the dryer just won't start.

Also, could you please guide me in ordering the correct thermistor part # ?
I have a KENMORE ELITE HE3 Graphite/Black (Model # 110.84836201)

Is there a possibility that it could be a bad Machine Electronics Board ?

Thanks,
Bobby

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That thermistor should read 50,000 ohms.

Jeff posted the link to your thermistor you need to order in post#2.

Is there a possibility that it could be a bad Machine Electronics Board ?
Sure its possible, but no way to do a direct test on that board.

You can order both the thermistor and board and return the one you don't need for a full refund(minus shipping back).

Here's the machine board you can order here:

365 Days. Period.™
No harm in buying and trying. Electrical parts? Out of stock parts? No problem. Get a free replacement or your money back if you return a part within one full year. This is the best return policy in the industry. (Shipping not included).

Jake

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake & Jeff,

OK, Thanks for confirming the resistance for the thermistor.

I also checked the Thermal Fuse resistance and the multi-meter swung to the very far end beyond 0 ohms ?
Is this correct ?
Could the problem be the Thermal Fuse instead/as well ?

Can I jumper the thermal fuse and the thermistor one at a time to run a quick test to see which one needs replacement ?

Will these jumping tests allow me to detect if the Machine Electronics Board is OK if the dryer starts up while it is jumpered ?

I really appreciate your help and guidance.

Thanks,
Bobby

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
You can bypass the fuse, it should show full continuity. Can't bypass the thermistor as it would show shorted by joining the wires together.

jeff.

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake & Jeff,
The replacement Thermistor finally came in the mail today...
I replaced the Thermistor and the Dryer started up just fine the first 4-5 times for short durations (I didn't let it run too long). I thought the problem was solved.... and was very excited.. That didn't last very long though :confused:
Since I had also replaced the Door Switch earlier, I decided to install the old one back so I could return the new one. The Dryer still started up fine, so I concluded that the door switch was OK and only the Thermistor was bad.
After I put everything back together and pushed the dryer back in it's place, and did a final test, the same problem has reappeared again.
After selecting the cycle, I push the start button, it beeps 3 times (rapidly) and the duration time flashes on the console (Exactly the same condition as before)
Also, as mentioned in one of the earlier posts, an error code of 1E appears when I get into the diagnostic mode, where it should really show 88

Could it be that the Thermistor's on this dryer are getting fried due to another fault ??

I checked the resistance of the new Thermistor after taking it out of the plastic bag and before installing it, and it read at 10K ohms ?
I rechecked the resistance of the old thermistor and it is also reading at 10K ohms ?

Any additional suggestions will be really appreciated...

Thanks in advance..

Bobby

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats very strange Bobby, why don't you re-install the new door switch and see if the dryer continues to run first before we do anything else.

There have been a rash of door switches going bad on this model as well.

Jake

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I re-installed the new door switch, but the same problem persists and the dryer won't start. Same symptoms as before, 3 consecutive beeps everytime I hit the start button, but the dryer won't start.
Diagnostic mode shows "1E" still.

Thanks,
Bobby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm stumped, I don't know what it could be now.

You'll likely need to have Sears come out to see whats going on.

Jake

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks for the great support and suggestions so far.
I will make an appointment with SEARS, and I will also drop a note to let you know how the problem got fixed.

Thanks,
Bobby

jeff1

Staff member
I will also drop a note to let you know how the problem got fixed
Please do.

Maybe a bad new part?

jeff.