FIXED Kenmore HE3 Dryer won't start, 3 beeps, shows error code 1E

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks so much for continuing to research this further.
I also considered whether the new door switch and/or the Thermistor that I ordered is faulty. Are there any additional tests that can be done on these 2 parts, before I ask for replacement one's ?
I hope the other individual who had the "1E" code responds.

Thanks,
Bobby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No other tests I'm aware of you can run.

Yes, hopefully he will report back, or if he doesn't and you don't want to call anyone out, just order the user interface and control board and return the one you don't need back for full refund(minus shipping back).

I hate telling people to do that, but thats about the only solution for a weird issue like this.

RepairClinic has a new return policy thats second to none, its a 365 day return for any part you buy, they will either exchange it or refund it, installed or not.

Jake

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I had left the dryer unplugged from power for the last 4-5 days. When I plugged it back in and attempted to start the dryer, it ran for about 10 minutes or so. I could stop and start it a few times without any problems.
Then after a few on/off tries, the 3 beeps is back ?
Any ideas, what could be causing this sort of an intermittent problem ?
Why would leaving it unplugged for a longer duration make it run all of a sudden ?

Thanks,
Bobby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I really don't know Bobby.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Bobby, thats what I would suggest.

Let us know what the tech. finds.:)

Jake

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
The SEARS tech thinks that the control board is bad. He didn't have the replacement part with him, so he ordered one.
The replacement part that he has ordered has a Part # 3980062R which is different than the one that you had mentioned in your earlier post.
Also, when I check online on SEARS site the price of the above part # shows up for about half the price, but it has no online picture or a detailed description. All it says for description is "Microcomputer"
SEARS charged me $189.95 just for the part, but online it shows for less than half ?
Does the additional "R" after the part # mean that it is a refurbished part and I am being charge for a new part ?

Thanks,
Bobby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes "R" means refurbished.

Yes, Sears marks up that part and its not even a new part.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its the same control board, but Sears didn't update their part# to the new one yet.

The manufacturer has replaced part number 3980062 with this item, part number 8546219.

Manufacturer part number WP8546219

Jake

pucara

Appliance Tech
So you mean Sears is charging 189$ for a refurbished and you could get the same board (new) from them and they will charge you half the price!! doen't make any sense:eek:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats corporations for you.

Jake

bsdhaliwal

Premium Member
Hi Jake & Jeff,
After replacing the control board, the problem has been fixed.
Apparently the control board thinks that the door is open even though it is closed.
Thanks again so much for all your support and help that you have provided...

Cheers..
Bobby

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bobby, that was a very odd one I've never seen happen before, good job.:)

Jake

PbrownRN

Premium Member
Troubleshooting Kenmore he3 dryer won't start. Beeps need service manual

I understand that this thread is old. However, I have exactly the same problem today. I noticed that jake sent a link for a Service manual to a customer for a whirlpool duet h4. Is it possible to send me a link for my Kenmore 110.84832201 he3? I understand that is a whirlpool product and the exclusive rights that sears has on the Kenmore manual etc. At this particular time I just went out and "jiggled" the door switch and the dryer started. But I am trying to prepared for the worst, and hoping for the best. I have the parts list and use and care manual, but nothing more detailed of course. Thanks,

Pat

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I understand that this thread is old. However, I have exactly the same problem today. I noticed that jake sent a link for a Service manual to a customer for a whirlpool duet h4. Is it possible to send me a link for my Kenmore 110.84832201 he3? I understand that is a whirlpool product and the exclusive rights that sears has on the Kenmore manual etc. At this particular time I just went out and "jiggled" the door switch and the dryer started. But I am trying to prepared for the worst, and hoping for the best. I have the parts list and use and care manual, but nothing more detailed of course. Thanks,

Pat
Hi Pat,

It sounds like your door switch is bad if you just jiggled it and it worked.

We've had a few members report door switch problems.

You can check it for continuity with an ohm meter to make sure. Unplug or turn the breaker off to your dryer first.

Here's that door switch you can order:
Door Switch Assembly WP8283288 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

It shows on Page 4-6 in your repair manual I posted a link to below how to access it to check/change it. Make sure your dryer is still unplugged!

Push the button in on the door switch with one meter probe on COM and the other meter probe on NO and see if it reads.

If your door switch checks fine then its the control board that is bad.

Your Kenmore is the exact identical to the Whirlpool Duet.

Here is the online repair manual for the Kenmore HE3/Whirlpool Duet dryer: https://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/Duetdry.pdf
Page 6-3 is the troubleshooting section.

It shows how to get access to the control board & console panel keypad assembly on page 4-2 through 4-4 of the repair manual.

Here's the control board for your model:
Manufacturer part number WP8546219

Let us know what you find.

Jake

PbrownRN

Premium Member
Wow, thanks for the very quick response. So far dryer is working..at least for todays laundry. I will let you know the outcome. I will start by ordering the switch and go from there. Thanks again. Pat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Pat sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake