• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore He3 Gas Dryer main burner randomly not igniting

Brian111

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Model # 110.94836201. Clothes weren't drying, so I started down the tech sheet troubleshooting list. The entire exhaust line from the lint trap to the vent outside the house was lint-free and the gas line is open and no other gas appliances in the house are having issues. The blower is working and the dryer spins, but no heat. There are no error codes. When I entered the diagnostic test, I opened the door and got a beep and a numeric code (that either means the door sensors works or that the moisture sensor is faulty...I've read two different things?). When testing the moisture sensor by touching the two bars on the lint trap cover I get the expected beep but the # 02 in the time remaining display - instead of 03 which the tech sheet says to expect. I pulled the toe kick and watched as the glow stick lit up, but failed to ignite the main burner (the main may light once at the beginning of the cycle, but then it just cycles through glow stick and the loud click (usually followed by the main igniting), and then the glow just dies out. I thought the issue was the thermistor (8577274) and or the moisture sensor wire harness (3406653) - both failed the tests using a multimeter. I also replaced the thermofuse (3392519) while I was in there and since the part is relatively inexpensive. None of those worked so I got back in there with the multimeter... The gas coils passed. The high limit thermo passed. Everything and everyone was saying it's likely the Electronic Control Board (3980062). So I performed the tests on the spec sheet; pulled P2 and checked the wires (passed). I checked pins #1 and 2 (fail), so I replaced the board. Since I'm writing this, obviously it still doesn't work. The board cost $200, but I'm about to return it and use the money to call in a technician. Anyone have any other suggestions at this point?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the main may light once at the beginning of the cycle, but then it just cycles through glow stick and the loud click (usually followed by the main igniting), and then the glow just dies out.

Thats very common when your gas coils wear out, they can ohm test as good, but can still physically stick on you, read this thread: FIXED Whirlpool dryer inconsistant heating

Here's the gas coils for your model you can order - Video Included:
Whirlpool 279834 Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

Keep us posted.

Jake

Brian111

Premium Member
Thats very common when your gas coils wear out...

Keep us posted.

Jake

Thanks for the response, Jake. The place I bought the control board will take it back and give a full $210 refund [whew!]. I ordered the OEM coils and they don't appear to be too hard to install. If all goes well, by Saturday I should have a working dryer and be about $200 richer (and a whole lot smarter for the trouble). Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
Brian

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Brian, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Brian111

Premium Member
The coils showed up yesterday. Took less than 10 minutes to install them and the dryer is working now! I only wish the tech sheet would have said you could get a false-positive when checking resistance... Would have saved me hours of frustration. I'd suggest to anyone else reading this post with similar problems in the future to replace the coils before assuming it's the control board REGARDLESS of what the multimeter tells you... it's easy to do (just two screws (4, if you count removing the toe-kick panel)) and the parts are really inexpensive, especially compared to the board. And listen to Jake... he knows what he's talking about!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Fantastic Brian, good job, glad your back in business.:)

Jake