• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

kenmore heavy duty series 70

paul

Premium Member
imported post

Has anyone had problems where their clothes have brown streak marks after coming out of the dryer? I'm really not sure if the washer or dryer is the culprit, but I'm leaning towards t he dryer.

Using a Kenmore HD 70 series set

aaastan

Appliance Tech
imported post

Paul,

There are two things that come to my mind immediately.

The first is--what is the condition of the drum? I've seen a dryer that had a drum with heavy rust inside of it. If the dryer cycle ends but the laundry is still damp,clothing can get brown stains on them.

The second one is problably closer to what might be happening--the front or rear drum seal is worn. Allowing clothing to snag as it tumbles--creating brown or dark streaks about one to three inches length.

Does you dryer *rumble* a lot when it is on? This would be worn rear drum support wheels. Clothing can *escape* from the drum when these wheels are failing.

A model/serial number might help it bit too,

John

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

**have brown streak marks after coming out of the dryer? I'm really not sure if the washer or dryer is the culprit**

Not written in stone.....but lines/streaks are often the dryer...Dots/blothes are often the washer.

jeff.

paul

Premium Member
imported post

hey aaastan & jeff1

thanks for your very quick replies

i will take a look this weekend

thanks...really...it's been driving my wife nuts

paul

jfaltz

Premium Member
imported post

Paul - Did you find the solution to your problem. Our electric dryer (Whirlpool Model # LET7848DQO), too, leaves brown streaks on clothes and we can't figure out why. This has started in the last year or so and gotten progressively worse.

Thanks - Judy

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

Hi,

**LET7848DQO**

Should be LET7848DQ0

** leaves brown streaks on clothes and we can't figure out why**

Check rear drum seal, front drum seal and drum support roller wheels. If worn/tired enough the clothes can become pinched and leaves a streak mark on the clothes.

http://www.applianceaid.com/wpdryer_how-to.html- Some take apart helps.

jeff.

jfaltz

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks, Jeff - I appreciate the prompt reply. Since I am not a handy person, I will call a repair person and give them the benefit of your expertise. Now the decision is whether it will cost so much to repair that I should just buy a new one! I know I've had this dryer several years but can't find the original receipt to know just exactly how old it is.

Judy

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

Your welcome! :)

If you post the serial # of off the dryer, will try to see what we can find out for you on the age on it.

jeff.

paul

Premium Member
imported post

Hey Judy,

I have not fixed the problem yet.

I, too, am not too handy, so a call into the Sears repairman might be in order.

I want to look into the cost, too.

I will update any good news.

Paul

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Should be built in 1995 for your dryer Judy.

jeff.

jfaltz

Premium Member
imported post

OK, Jeff - 10 years .....then I don't feel so bad about getting a new one. The repairman estimated $200 to repair. Hesaid that it was the material that forms the drum gasket that had decomposed and was getting on the clothes. Sure do appreciate your help as I feel like I got a second opinion here for free!

Texas

Premium Member
imported post

Hi,

I found my brown streaks are coming from the clear internal light housing or plastic cover that snaps down over the inside light. I have found my clothes caught up in it and I have to pull them off finding brownrust looking / burn marks. Is this the light actually burning the clothing that was lucky enough to get traped? Who knows. I've put up with it for about 4 years. Here I am tring to solve the problem. Will probably have the housing removed and new one put back on.

Texas

Premium Member
imported post

The streaks are coming from your clothes getting caught up in the clear housing that covers the internal light. It does not flush mount and when the clothes pass it they can get caught and I believe the brown streak is caused by the light buring the fabric. I contuniually pull my clothes from it with brown streaks included. Some clothes get trapped and disconnect in the drying cycle. Texas

Texas

Premium Member
imported post

It is the clear housing that fits over the internal light. It does not mount flush and needs to be replaced. I have had to pull my clothes out of it. Caught in the act so to speak. Your clothes are getting trapped and will disconnect in the drying cycle at times. The part of the clothes trapped is burning I think. It lookslike a rust or brown mark on the clothes.

Texas