• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore/LG 795.78733800 Icemaker not producing ice

sonic

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I just moved into a home we just purchased. The icemaker doesn't produce ice. Water does not go into the icemaker. I put water into the icemaker to test if it made ice, it doesn't freeze the water. I checked the temperature in the icemaker and I have seen temperatures from 15 to 60 F.

The fan the blows the cold air from the freezer does run some of the time. The cold water works. I can't get the self test on the icemaker to run. The icemaker is on, the arm is down.

Do I need to order a new icemaker, or something else? I read the other threads on this forum, but the symptoms reported don't match. Even if I need to order a new icemaker, I would like to understand what is not working properly.

Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I put water into the icemaker to test if it made ice, it doesn't freeze the water. I checked the temperature in the icemaker and I have seen temperatures from 15 to 60 F.

The fan the blows the cold air from the freezer does run some of the time.
It sounds like the ice maker fan motor is going bad, it should be below 16 degrees at all times in the ice maker compartment and in the freezer it should be below 10 degrees at all times.

Is everything in the freezer staying frozen and you hear the fan motor in the freezer running?

Here's the ice maker fan motor assembly for your model:
5209JA1044A Ice Maker Cooling Fan Assembly

Jake

sonic

Premium Member
The freezer is fine, always -4F. The fan does blow, but not all the time. It is a control issue. It would be nice to have a flow chart to understand all the states of operation.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When you see it at anything above 16 degrees, see if the fan is running.

If the fan motor is NOT running, take a voltage reading on the electrical connector that connects to that fan motor.

Jake

sonic

Premium Member
Fn works

As I said in the beginning, the fan works. It just does not run all the time. When it runs, the icemaker gets cold, 16 F, but after a few minutes it stops running. This is a control issue, not a fan issue. Either some sensor in the icemaker is not working properly, or the signal is not getting to the main PCB or the main PCB is bad. I need to know which sensors can cause this issue, thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the ice room sensor:
6500JB1008A Sensor

The sensor is 600B:
(click to enlarge)
Z1110005-00007.jpg

At room temp the sensor should have a resistance reading of 5K ohms.

Jake

sonic

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I will measure it and if good, check if it gets to the main PCB.

sonic

Premium Member
Hi Jake:
I took out the icemaker assembly so the thermister is open (not connected). The temperature gets cold in the icemaker assembly then, and stays cold. I measured the open circuit voltage at the thermister connector and got 5 volts, which means it connects to the control board. I reassembled the icemaker, but did not connect the thermister. The temperature again gets warm. I'm thinking the heater to release the ice is coming on and staying on for a long time, hence the problem. Is that controlled by the main pcb, or the icemaker itself?
Thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes sonic, The heater is controlled by the ice maker itself.

So it sounds like a new ice maker will fix it.:)

Here's the ice maker for your model:
AEQ36756901 Ice Maker Assembly

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes.

Jake

sonic

Premium Member
Fixed Ice maker

Jake:
I replaced the ice maker as you suggested and all is well! Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent sonic, glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake