• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Kenmore micro/hood combo stopped working while cooking - no power

LanaK

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
6
Location
Atlanta
Model Number
401.80083700
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
1-5 years
I have 4 year old microwave that recently stopped working as I was heating food. It was operating fine and as I walked out of the kitchen it suddenly stopped. The unit shows no sign of power. I checked the outlet first and then the circuit breaker and both were fine. Previously I have replaced the entire control panel with keypad on this unit (about 7 months ago) after getting an SE error code. I'm reasonably handy and have seen online that other microwaves without power usually have a internal fuse to blame. If this is the case, how difficult/dangerous would it be for me to replace these? Also would it require me to unmount the microwave? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,008
Location
Ontario, Canada

LanaK

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
6
Location
Atlanta
I've been out of town and finally got the fuse, however before installing it, I plugged in the microwave and upon closing the door power was restored. It stayed on for several minutes then shut off by itself. I opened the door and realized that tapping on the inside "roof" caused the power to come on so it seems there's a short or bad connection. When I press upwards inside on the top power connects but when I let go it goes blank again. Any idea what this could be as I will need the power off to disassemble the unit.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,008
Location
Ontario, Canada
Any idea what this could be
Maybe.

it seems there's a short or bad connection.
A short, not likely....a loose connection is very possible.

as I will need the power off to disassemble the unit.
That sounds like a good idea, slowly keep going until you hopefully find the trouble maker....intermittant issues are the worst!

jeff.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,008
Location
Ontario, Canada
Top