• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Kenmore Microwave--cracked outer plastic door

Pez4

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
From just about 4 years of use our Kenmore microwave (Model#721.80039700) has developed a crack ON THE PLASTIC PORTION OF THE DOOR ONLY from the lower right hand corner of the glass down to the edge (see pic).

I've done a little research and it seems that as long as the door seal and glass are intact (they seem to be) it is still safe to use. I've ordered a tester to see if it's emitting anything and we are not using the oven until it's been tested.

is there a replacement part for this in case things aren't okay? I can't seem to find it on this site...

Thanks, Jim

Attachments

Pez4

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. I was also thinking of just replacing the whole door assembly. It's double the price of the panel but supposedly a lot easier. What do you think?

Jim