• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Microwave Oven Fuse Keeps Blowing

Belligerent

Premium Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2
Location
, ,
imported post

I have a Kenmore built-in (over-the-stove) microwave oven, Model No. 721.8935090 that is about 14 years old. About a year ago it quit working, and after some investigation, I found the ceramic fuse - after replacing it, all was well for a while.

Then, a few days ago, the fuse blew again. I replaced it, and got a minute or two into a cooking cycle - I opened the door to check on what I was cooking, shut the door, and the fuse blew again.

I have always heard that if the same fuse keeps blowing, you have a more serious problem, but I wanted to make sure before I either take the thing somewhere to have it checked further, or trash it and buy a new one.

I think I read on here somewhere that slamming the door to the oven could make the fuse blow - I didn't slam it THAT hard (the wife and kids do it much harder), but I guess you could consider it slamming.

Any suggestions on what step(s) to take next?
 

Belligerent

Premium Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2
Location
, ,
imported post

Sorry, but should this question be posted elsewhere?

Hi,

Yes, i will move it to the Microwave Repair Talk Forum.:cool:
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,824
Location
Ontario, Canada
imported post

Hi,

Blowing the internal fuse when open or closing the door is often a sign of a bad/weak/intermittant door switch....sometimes can be the mechanism that pushes/operates the door switches as well.

2 switches open and one closes when the door is opened, two close and one opens when the door is opened...if one sticks the short switch can/will blow the fuse.

http://www.applianceaid.com/nuker.html

jeff.
 
Top