• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Kenmore Microwave/Oven Start Button Not Working

JeremyH

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is everything working except the microwave? Can you program the timer and will the lights turn on? Does the display work? Is the machine completely dead?

JeremyH

Premium Member
Sorry, I guess I did not clarify very well.

The Microwave part works just fine. The only non working part is the "start" button for the oven. However, all of the controls for the oven and microwave are located on the microwave.

The lights and timer both come on, however, I am not able to start the timer.

Thank you for your time.

Jeremy

rickgburton

Staff member

JeremyH

Premium Member
Rick,

thank you kindly for your help. I will get one ordered up shortly. I assume this is a fairly easy install....just plug and play?

rickgburton

Staff member
Remove the two screws from the side of the control panel and slide it slightly to the left and it comes off. Unplug the microwave first or shut off power at the circuit breaker. FYI: that model has had numerous problems with the latch and latch switches. Check the connections on the switches for any burned or scorched wire ends while you have the control panel off.

Attachments

JeremyH

Premium Member
Ok, thanks for the tip. I just pulled the control panel and checked the micro switches and connections, they appear to be in good condition.

One last question about this unit....the motor that turns the plate in the microwave seems to work sporadically and is quite loud. I have pulled the turning tree and checked the "D" shaped mount and it is not damaged. Does this sound like a bad motor? Are they easy to replace? Since I'll already be ordering parts and have this thing torn apart....

Thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member

JeremyH

Premium Member
Ok, thank you for the tip and diagram. I figured I would need to pull the microwave to get at that motor.

The warning at the bottom of the diagram is funny!

rickgburton

Staff member
If you get "dead" from working on the machine they send an official to your funeral and he says "I told you so!"...lol

JeremyH

Premium Member
Well, I'm not dead, but my oven still is. I installed the new Oven Control Harness and my start button still does not work. I am thinking that it is the touch pad soft circuit board (the flexible board directly behind the buttons on the touch pad). I removed both the oven and microwave control boards in an attempt to get to the touch pad circuit board and got down to the metal backing plate that had about 15 clips. I decided to put it back together since it would not be an easy task getting all clips pushed with just two hands.

Does this sound correct? If so, what is the part number? I looked through all of the parts for this model and could not find it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Sorry about that, I started to answer this the other day and must have forgot to press "post", oops. OK, I went back and re-read the thread. I think it would be more accurate to say the lower oven is not working instead of the the start switch is not working. The start switch just closes the contacts in the key pad so it might be working and the oven is not turning on. On the back of the oven is a high limit safety thermostat. Check the thermostat for continuity.
GE WB24K5029 Limit Switch - AppliancePartsPros.com
ge-limit-switch-wb24k5029-ap2023958_01_m.jpg

JeremyH

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply!

Any idea how I access the back of the oven? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but this unit is built into a cabinet and I am not seeing how it comes apart....

rickgburton

Staff member
You will need to slide it out and remove it from the installation. There's probably a couple screws on the front sides (where the door closes) holding it in.I slide it almost all the way out except for a couple inches and then let the front of the oven drop down a little and rest on my tool box. That gives me enough room to access the back without having to remove it completely. That way I can slide it back in by myself without having to use a second man to lift it.