• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore microwave oven

magi

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2005
Messages
1
Location
, ,
imported post

My Mom's microwave developed a crack in the grill above the oven and she didn't want to buy a new grill so i fixed it with some glue. Well about 3 or 4 weeks later she says the grill literally blew off and almost clipped her on the head and landed on the floor. both plastic tabs where it fits into the frame on the bottom are missing from the grill now and both the plastic tabs that the screws hold on are still hanging on the screws on the frame. the grill is still cracked, missing now all these parts and she had to order a new one. She is afraid there is something wrong with the m'wave now and that it will happen again (about a month before that she was about to take out a glass bowl to stir something and the bowl blew up in the m'wave so she is really apprehensive).

Could the m'wave be overheating or something - is there a way to check it's temperature controls? Or do you think it is just coincidental bad luck? The m'wave is about 10 years old-she uses it maybe 3-4 times per week, I'd guess, if that. Anybody ever have this sort of thing happen to them (and no, there was no metal in the m'wave or anything like that-she does store stuff in there like a roll of paper towels and a plastic cover that you put over food when you m'wave it-but she always removes that stuff before use)

Thanks so much for any help anyone can supply!
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
4,231
Location
Ontario, Canada
imported post

magi wrote:
about a month before that she was about to take out a glass bowl to stir something and the bowl blew up in the m'wave so she is really apprehensive.
Super-heating items can happen in a microwave (see the following link) which can under some circumstances lead to explosive results. As with any other cooking appliance, some care must be taken with its use. Check its user manual for operating instructions and suggested cautions. :shock:

LINK > Why does water react in a violent and dangerous way when overheated in a microwave oven?

I have no idea why "the grill literally blew off and almost clipped her on the head and landed on the floor". I can't see it being anything to do with the microwave if whatever grill you're talking about is outside of the oven cavity. Maybe that piece was binding how it was installed and the repair finally gave way under the pressure allowing it to fall/fly off??

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~
 

zinger

Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
1
Location
California
Cheap plastic part

It is not unusual to find the grill mounting tabs cracked or broken off completely. I've seen many this way and I believe it's simply bad plastic. The door frames sometimes crack on the outside too.
It is disappointing when the replacement part cracks apart but it does happen.
 
Top