• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Kenmore Microwave problem. Panel works, but no light, turntable, or blower.

mike982435

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2015
Messages
2
Location
United States
Model Number
401.80094700
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
1-5 years
My microwave is having issues. The control panel works, but when I start the cycle, the internal light, blower, and turntable does not start (but I still hear hear the normal hum).

Additionally, the internal light does not work when I open the door (I already replaced it to make sure it wasn't the bulb).

I checked the two cartridge fuses and the two thermal fuses. They all tested fine with a continuity test (except for one of the thermal fuses, which after reading sounds like it "tests open"). Nothing appears burnt or has a smell.

Any ideas? Thanks!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,708
Location
Ontario, Canada

mike982435

Premium Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2015
Messages
2
Location
United States
After discharging the capacitor, I tested the switches and looked through all the wires. Nothing looks burnt. I hear a hum coming from the high voltage transformer. Since the light, blower, and turntable all do not function, is it likely to be the transformer (vs. the magnetron)?

Since this is an over-the-range microwave and a replacement is about $380 from sears, I'd like to just replace the part that went bad :)

Thanks again!
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,708
Location
Ontario, Canada
but I still hear hear the normal hum
I hear a hum coming from the high voltage transformer
To me is -sounded- like the cooking was working?!

is it likely to be the transformer (vs. the magnetron)?
*If* the cooling is working/coming on...it is neither.

jeff.
 
Top