• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Microwave

Drew Irvin

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
2
I have a 9 year old, over the stove kenmore, Model #721.89941490 that has power, the light works and the time display works, however, it will not heat, or even begin to heat. I was told to change out the fuse. I've taken the vent cover off the top to look for the fuses but can't see any.

Is the fuse the most likely problem?

If so, how do I get to it?
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,824
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

has power, the light works and the time display works, however, it will not heat, or even begin to heat.

Clarify....you can set timer ok?...timer will start when you hit the button?....timer counts down and ?? happens, fan/lights works, any sounds?

I was told to change out the fuse

Fuse would prevent everything from working!

jeff.
 

Drew Irvin

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
2
details

Everything appears to work just like normal, the timer works fine, and it sounds perfect, it makes all the out-side appearances of a working microwave, but nothing ever warms up.
 
Top