• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore model 106.51783412 ice maker not working

gggfran

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My refrigerator is about 2.5 years old and has been working great until the ice maker stopped producing ice this summer. I studied engineering in college and usually am able to come up with a quick fix to mechanical issues. This one however has me confused.

1. The original problem occurred when ice production stopped.
2. I did some research online and replaced the water inlet valve. Still had the problem.
3. I decided that I need to know if the water fill line is clogged or frozen, so I switched the wires on the water inlet valve so that when I press the water dispenser button outside the fridge, the ice maker fill tube would fill. The water fills fine.
4. I ran the diagnostics on the service sheet and step #44 (Sankyo Icemaker Harvesting Test) failed. It would display "1 2" indicating that the ice maker harvesting cycle is ON and that the bucket is not full. Then it would immediately display "2 3" indicating that the icemaker harvesting cycle is OFF and that the "Switch faulty or motor". I also ran the Icemaker Water fill test #45 and it failed the first step when it tries to move the ice tray to home position. The display blinks "01" indicating that it is trying to move into home position, but never moves past that step. I also never heard a motor in the ice maker try to move a tray in either test. After this I replaced the ice maker assembly. Still did not work and failed this test again.
5. After the new ice maker failed the harvesting test, I assumed that the new ice maker I received from a after market manufacturer was faulty. So I ordered a genuine OEM ice maker assembly from Sears to test. Still failing both tests and no ice.
6. I have checked the wires at the 90 degree turn under the kick plate and see no frayed or broken wires. (Technically could still be broken under the plastic sheath of each individual wire).

Any suggestions of what I should test next? I feel like the board is the next likely replacement part, but would like to diagnose that before replacing seeing as everything else is working fine. Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Run test #44 again and make the following voltage measurements on the main board while the ice maker is in a harvest cycle:
P7-3 to P7-4 = 14 VDC
P7-5 to P7-6 = 14 VDC

gggfran

Premium Member
Run test #44 again and make the following voltage measurements on the main board while the ice maker is in a harvest cycle:
P7-3 to P7-4 = 14 VDC
P7-5 to P7-6 = 14 VDC

When I am in the diagnostic mode running test 44:

P7-3 to P7-4 = 2.7 VDC
P7-5 to P7-6 = 0 VDC

No real change when running test 44 or not running it.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick must of forgot to post the control board.

Here it is for your model:
Cntrl-Elec

Let us know how it goes.

Jake