• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Model 665.17593200 wont drain and wont start

Homefixerguy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi all, this is my first post here, I just joined the site because the forums I read appeared very helpful.

Today, I came home to a diswasher with about 2" of water in the bottom. The dishes were clean from the night before.
I can press any of the cycle option buttons, and they all appear to activate, but when I close the door and try to start a cycle, all I see on the display is two dashes -- and the unit does not do anything.
Pressing the cancel/drain button only clears the display of the two -- , but takes no action. There is no hum or any other sound that comes from the machine.

Can you give me some advice on where to start?
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its your control panel thats bad causing this.

Here's the control panel for your model you can order here:
Manufacturer Number 8530862

Jake

Homefixerguy

Premium Member
Control panel

Hi Jake, thanks for the reply. It seems possible what you say, but why would the unit not drain from the prior cycle? Could a fault or short in the control panel stop a drain of the unit mid-cycle?
The dashes "--" on the control panel are not un-common, that is typically what we see when the unit gets powered on (we have a switch in the kitchen to remove power). I would hate to have spent $200 and have this not be the problem. I'm pretty handy with a multi-meter, is there any testing I can do before ordering the control panel?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, well, you may want to check your door switch too just to make sure thats good. You can ohm the ribbon cable pins from the control panel touchpad and see if they all ohm with continuity.

Here's the door switch for your model:
Interlock Switch 8269209 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to test it:

<iframe height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tDQ0X1LRhpg?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the new control panel should fix it, I've replaced many of these control panels for this same issue.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, that control panel should have fixed it. You did buy it from RepairClinic? If so, You can return it for a full refund, less shipping.

Then its likely the control board thats bad.

Here's the control board for your model:
Manufacturer part number 8564542 is RepairClinic item number 1060952

Here's the video:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R6DRT-T2r5w?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Jake

Homefixerguy

Premium Member
Yup, that did it....took the old control panel off and it was severely charred on the back. Luckily, thermal fuse was ok. Would like to return control panel, but couldnt because had to trim off the tabs on the bottom to fit it into place since my unit must be an older model. Thanks for all of your help.

Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tom, glad its fixed.:)

Jake