• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore model 790.48083000 oven not maintaining set temperature

Deerman1

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My oven will heat up when you turn it on and reaches what temp you set it on. Then will not heat up to keep temp at set temperature. You can turn it off and then back on and it will heat up to set temperature. Is there a thermostat or something that tells it to heat back up that could be burned out or bad?

MFlem

Premium Member
Same issue with mine. Both elements test our fine. Oven reaches set temp, then the convection fan turns off and the displayed temperature remains the same even when you open the door. Neither heating element turns back on to maintain temperature.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Either the oven temperature sensor or a bad controller can cause this problem. Your Kenmore 790 is made by Frigidaire.

Here's the oven temperature sensor for your model:
Temperature Sensor 5304504897

Here's the controller for your model:

Here's the video that shows you how to ohm test the oven sensor:

Make sure you disconnect power to the wall oven first!

Jake

MFlem

Premium Member
Thanks for your help Jake. It seems to me that the temperature sensor is likely not the problem given that we see the temperature gradually rise to the proper set temperature and then the heating elements turn off when the temp is reached. All as expected. The problem is, the elements and convection fan never turn back on to maintain the heat. Do you think that indicates a control board problem or sensor problem? Mine is in rental property and I don't have easy access to test the sensor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it would be more likely the controller.

Jake