Kenmore range 790.45072400

bendgirl

Premium Member
imported post

The Kenmore range manufactured in 2004 with a dozen or less uses on the oven experienced an arc when the bake element was turned on. It completely burned thru the element. All power to the oven and clock on the digital panel went out. The top burners (radiant) work okay and the oven light okay. Replaced the element but still nothing. Reset the breaker a few times. Is there some kind of default switch? or fuse that needs looked at? I opened the digital panel to see if any unconnected, loose, burned looking wires, all looks perfect. this is a hardly used unit which puzzles me. Are there problems with this model perhaps I am unaware of? Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

bendgirl wrote:
Replaced the element but still nothing. Reset the breaker a few times. Is there some kind of default switch? or fuse that needs looked at?
Not usually but check the appliance's wiring diagram.

I opened the digital panel to see if any unconnected, loose, burned looking wires, all looks perfect.
The element failure might have caused part of the control system to fail. You can't always tell just by looking if a component is damaged or not, usually some form of actual testing is required.

Are there problems with this model perhaps I am unaware of?
Other than the cause of current symptom, I doubt it. When range element fail they occasionally damage other components which are also in the circuit.

Kenmore range manufactured in 2004
When was it purchased? It should be covered by at least a 1-year parts and labour warranty. Some components (like maybe the electronic control) possibly longer.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

bendgirl

Premium Member
imported post

Is it possible the digital clock was disabled as well? If the oven operation was directly tied to the digital clock, could that be a reason for not operating? On this model, is the digital clock panel tied directly with the oven operations? Thank you again. (there is no warrenty, nor owners manual available) I'm on my own . . .

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

bendgirl wrote:
Is it possible the digital clock was disabled as well?
Damaged, yes it is. There is usually no other component in a range which would just "disable" it but there may be a slim chance maybe a wire just came off or 'fried' at the same time??

If the oven operation was directly tied to the digital clock, could that be a reason for not operating?
The electronic control is definitely connected to the oven elements and could have been damaged when the element failed. It doesn't happen often but can occasionally unfortunately. :(

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~