• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Range 790.45589901 No Bake or Broil

VSpeck

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore range 790.45589901 that neither the bake or broil elements come on but the stove eyes do work. I've checked that there are two lines of 120v coming into the back. I checked both elements for continuity and they seemed okay. I got a reading of 1085ohms from the temp sensor, which I believe is correct. I looked to check the thermal fuse but it doesn't seem to have one(the mounting spot for it is empty, I guess whoever put this one together skipped that step). Something I noticed is that when I turn on bake or broil the cooling fan will come on immediately. Neither my mother or I think it did this before. We both seem to remember it taking a bit before the fan would activate, but it's not something we really would have payed much attention to so we could be mistaken. Does anyone know if a faulty cooling fan thermostat would affect the bake and broil elements?

If anyone has any ideas on what I could look at, I'd really appreciate the help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
..... when I turn on bake or broil the cooling fan will come on immediately .....
That's correct, the cooling fan is activated during any cooking and cleaning functions.
...I looked to check the thermal fuse but it doesn't seem to have one.....
There's two under the cook top. I marked them 1 and 2 in this parts break down.
t-stat.jpg

Access the back of the EOC and measure the voltage between P1/L1 and P7/DLB-IN Your meter should indicate 220 VAC.

EOC.jpg

To the check the t-stat for continuity, unplug the range and disconnect the wire on the P4 terminal and measure between that wire and L1/P1 on the board.

VSpeck

Premium Member
Okay I checked between P1/L1 and P7/DLB-IN and got 240 VAC. Then I measured between the wire connected to P4 and L1/P1 and did not get continuity.

Now about that thermal fuse. Yeah I just can't find it. On the one and two you've marked one of those is the cooling fan thermostat which is there and the other I just don't see. I can see where it is supposed to be mounting holes are even there but there is no fuse. Here's a screencap I found of the fuse being replaced. On the right is the cooling fan thermostat which is there and on the left is the thermal fuse which again on mine just isn't there.
fuse-thermostat.png

About the cooling fan thermostat. It was my understanding that it didn't activate the fan until a temp of 105C was reached. Is this not correct?

Hey thx for the quick reply. If there's anything else you can think of please let me know

Brock

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
On the right is the cooling fan thermostat which is there and on the left is the thermal fuse which again on mine just isn't there.
No, the one on the right is your safety thermostat. Marked #2 on image, it's inline with the brown wire on P4 then goes to the common element terminal. Check it for continuity with your meter. The other thermostat, on the left with the green back, is a "fan hold thermostat". The reason you don't have it is, it's an option and your machine doesn't have that option. Since you don't have it the cooling fan turns on whenever the bake, broil, or self clean is used. This is the thermostat you need:

VSpeck

Premium Member
Okay so I measured between the brown wire, that was connected to P4, and L1/P1 and didn't get continuity. Then I measured the thermostat itself(pic below) and didn't get continuity. So having done that you believe my no bake or broil could be fixed by replacing said thermostat?

quicktest.JPG

Thanks again for all the help you're giving me.
Brock

VSpeck

Premium Member
Got the new thermostat in and installed and everything is working again!

Thank you so much Rick. And a big thank you from my mom as well!

Brock