• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Range 790.94459700 Burnt out spot on control board

ryeguy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
A couple of years ago, my broiler stopped working (the element wouldn't turn on). I ignored it because I don't use it much. A couple of days ago, the oven stopped heating effectively. I would set it for 450 and an hour later it would only be at 225 or so.

Below are pics of the control board. The burnt out area is the pin for the broiler, so that explains that. I'm assuming the board in general is toast now and that's why the temp isn't coming up. I tested the bake element for continuity. I tested the thermal sensor's resistance. I tested the incoming power to ensure it was 240v.

Right now I'm assuming I need a new control board and to fix or replace the connector shown in the below pics.

My questions are:
  1. Is it possible the burnt out connection is a symptom of something else, like a short? Or can connectors just burn out like this due to age or wear and tear? Is there something else I should verify?
  2. Since the plastic connector is melted, what should I replace that with? Can I get that connector from somewhere, or should I strip the wires and install new spade connectors?
  3. The oven is 14 years old. A new oven is $850, which I can afford. A new control board is $320 or so. Thinkng long term, does it make financial sense to repair this or do you think other parts would typically start failing at this point?

Here is the control board. The burnt-off peg is the broil element connection.
PXL_20210728_015242782.MP.jpg

Here is the connector that connects to the bake and broil connections, and covers the one to the left.
PXL_20210728_001826918.MP.jpg

PXL_20210728_001845673.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you'd need to order and replace the clock oven control board and cut the wires from the plastic connector and use a stripping tool and new female spade terminals to connect it to the new control board, you can get those new female spade terminals at any hardware store.

Make sure you unplug your range first.

Here's the clock oven control board for your model:
Oven Control Board 316462804

Jake

ryeguy

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. So in your experience this is something that can just happen with age and isn't an indication of a larger issue? I'm just worried about replacing the board and the same issue happening or something.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its age related only.:)

Jake