• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Kenmore range hood / microwave keypad stopped working.

Stubby

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
3
Location
Raleigh, NC
Model Number
721.80593400
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
6-10 years
This morning, I went to heat up my breakfast, and half of the numbers on the keypad were no longer working. There have been no storms in the area over the past few days, so I don't think it was an electrical surge. It just stopped.

Some of the buttons still work (light, fan, some the numbers, power, etc...), but the start, clear, and many of the lower buttons no longer do anything. I tried leaving it unplugged for several hours while I was at work, but that did nothing.

Wondering if there's another reset "trick" I don't know about. If not, should I replace the entire timer control module, or just get a new microwave, since this one is over 6 years old?

By the way, this is an extremely helpful forum....last year, I was able to save myself an expensive diagostic & repair bill by fixing my refrigerator with the help of the members on this site....
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,796
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Try unplugging and plugging the cord in and out....several times in a row quickly to see if the control will reset.
Failing that, you are into control/board repairs.

Control assembly Manufacturer Number 4781W1M311A or new microwave.

jeff.
 

Stubby

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
3
Location
Raleigh, NC
No dice....I did discover a little more detail though. The buttons that I thought were dead, are actually working...just not correctly. It's strange, it's like the numbers have shifted down a row. If you push 1, 4 comes up, push 4, 7 comes up, push 0, Power level comes up. Strange.....I'm thinking the board got fried somehow.

The cleaning ladies were here yesterday. no telling what they might have done.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,796
Location
Ontario, Canada
I'm thinking the board got fried somehow
Sounding more like :(

The cleaning ladies were here yesterday. no telling what they might have done
A little too much windex ;)
If possible, remove power...carefully dry out with a hair dryer or leave of several days if the key panal got too wet/damp.

jeff.
 
Top