• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore range model# 970-660282 - Not controlling oven temperature

Matz99

Premium Member
Model Number
970-660282
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Range not controlling oven temperature. Oven sensor and 316560123 controller replaced. Sometimes bake element bar light comes on but no rise in
temperature. Then after about 3 on & offs temperature will rise.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Very little information is available online for Canadian Kenmore products. I don't know how much help I can be.

I was able to locate a copy of the range's 'tech sheet' with wiring information in PDF format in the forums here:

LINK > 970-660282 Tech Sheet # 316905049 w/Wiring Diagram # 316905049 (PDF)

If the oven is not heating, testing the bake element would be right at the top of the list of things to check. Has anyone?

LINK > Appliance411: How do I test an electric stove element?

If your model uses a 'hidden' bake element, testing it might be more complicated.

Dan O.

Matz99

Premium Member
Hi
Ended up replacing the controller again. Bake & broil elements tested okay. Still times where bottom bar is lite but no rise in
temp until lite cycles on fourth time. Then temp is okay.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Matz99 said:
Still times where bottom bar is lite but no rise in temp

I don't know what you mean by "bottom bar".

There doesn't appear to be anything between the elements and the electronic control besides wiring. Was the control you replaced again a brand new part?

Someone might need to confirm if the full 240 volts is getting to the element when the oven should be heating. If not, that power supply to the element would need to be traced to see where the stoppage is. Usually I'd suspect the controller but it could be a problem in the one leg of the 240 volts either before, after or in the controller itself. Any lights (if that's what you mean by "bottom bar") only require 120 volts to function so could light even if full power is not getting to the elements.

Dan O.

Last edited: