Kenmore range oven elements reversed?

druid35077

Premium Member
imported post

I have a used Kenmore glass top range, model #911.9554590. When trying to use the oven, the elements seem to be operating in reverse; broil element on when set to bake, etc. Can anyone offer some insight as to what may be causing this? My guess is perhaps the switch has been wired incorrectly. If so, is this going to be a major operation to reach the switch and rewire it myself? I have found a mini-manual and wiring diagram available through Sears but would like a more informed opinion before I start.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

How old is your range?

Some of the older ranges used to use the broil element to preheat the oven before it switched back to the bake element.

Does the bake element come on at all when its set on bake?

Jake

druid35077

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks for the reply, Jake.

Sorry, but I don't know when the range was manufactured.

But to answer your other question and hopefully make things a little clearer, only the upper element works when on bake. Even after pre-heating the lower element remains off. The lower element only comes on when set to broil and the upper element turns off during broil.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Thats very odd, i hardly ever see that happen.

It just sounds like the wire connections are crossed at the selector switch.

If you do take the console apart, make sure the power is off first.

Then you can match the terminal alphabets (likeBR, BK, L1)to the alphabets on the wires to the selector switch.

Jake

druid35077

Premium Member
imported post

I hope I'm not asking too much here, but before I start trying to take the console apart would you happen to know of a link to somewhere I could find a breakdown showing me exactly how to get into the console? I don't want to start removing things at random.

Thanks again.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

The lower element only comes on when set to broil and the upper element turns off during broil."

"It just sounds like the wire connections are crossed at the selector switch.
I have a used Kenmore glass top range, model #911.9554590.
Has it ever worked properly for you??

If not, Jake may be right although that model doesn't appear to have a selector switch on it. It appears to be electronically controlled in which case the control's wiring could be mixed up.

you happen to know of a link to somewhere I could find a breakdown showing me exactly how to get into the console?
You can see exploded view diagrams of that model at the following link. I doubt you'll be able to gather from them exactly how the console gets accessed. I don't know of anything online which would be any more detailed. :(

LINK > Kenmore 911.9554590 Exploded View

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

druid35077

Premium Member
imported post

I wanted to get back with you folks that offered help and let you know the oven is now working properly. It was a simple matter of two reversed wires at the selector switch.

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated. And I fixed it just in time for my significant other to bake my birthday cake. :D She is going to be thrilled when she gets in from work today.