• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.50023211 Frost buildup on icemaker outlet

Paul2021

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator (manufactured in 2013) that I'm having an issue with that is somewhat different from the ones I've seen posted regarding frost buildup in the icemaker. Frost is accumulating at the outlet of the ice bin (photo attached). The chute through the door is ice-free, and the flap closes properly, so it doesn't seem to be due to air leaking around the flap. The door seal has no noticeable tears or worn spots, so room air leaking around the door doesn't seem to be the source, either. This is in a rental property and has been an issue only with the current tenant, though it may be that previous tenants just didn't tell me about the issue or use the icemaker. (Actually, when a previous tenant moved out, the ice bin had a hole in it and I bought a new one, so that tenant did have an issue with it.) When thawed out, the icemaker works properly for a couple of weeks until the frost builds up again. Any suggestions for what else to check would be appreciated.
20210822icemakerc.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's usually caused by a air leak, if that ice bucket is not all the way in it hits the freezer door and keeps the freezer door ajar, thus causes condensation and that frost to build up.

Jake

Paul2021

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. The possibility of room air entering is why I checked the door seal and the operation of the chute flap, but those seem to be fine, with no damage. The ice bin was inserted all the way, and the door seal makes contact all around. I'll check again, but I'm wondering what else might be a cause.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's all Paul that can cause it is a air leak coming in.

Jake

Paul2021

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I checked the seal again and there are no tears or gaps. Would applying a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the seal be helpful?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member