• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.51335710 Ice maker not filling with water, Diagnostic mode

Durango099

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore all of the sudden it doesn't want to make ice.

The ice tray is empty, and doesn't appear to be filling.

So in reading the guide, it says I need to run diagnostic step 45 - HOW???
I can't seem to locate anything that explains how to put the system in diagnostic mode

Thank you in advance

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
So in reading the guide, it says I need to run diagnostic step 45
What guide? Do you have the tech sheet for that machine? If not, look behind the lower grill or taped to the bottom of the machine on the right side behind the grill. I don't think you have the option for running test 45.

Manually fill the ice maker tray with water. Give it a few hours and see if it dumps the ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, Rick he posted this in 2 threads.:)

Here's the guide I posted in post #2 here:

I then uploaded his tech. data sheet in post #4 so he can run STEP 30.

@Durango099 lets use this thread that you started to keep posting in, posting in 2 different threads is too confusing.

Thanks!

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks Jake. That's the one I was looking for!

Isn't there a $25 fine for posting the same question in more than one thread??
6c2ba386.x120.gif

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Isn't there a $25 fine for posting the same question in more than one thread??
6c2ba386.x120.gif
Not as of yet, only to folks who go wild and crazy and post the same 7 or more times like that guy did last month, then its $25 X 7 plus tax. LOL

rickgburton

Staff member
Was that the person complaining about Whirlpool refrigerators? I deleted them all and told him I'll leave his original post if they promise to quit complaining in every WP thread..lol

Durango099

Premium Member
Sorry for posting it in a reply to the user post I found, and for making a new post hoping to gather input from others that may not have monitored a post of January.

Armed with the tech sheet Jake provided, I was able to run the tests as well as a manual water fill with a straw. After a couple hours, the manually added water caused the tray to eject frozen cubes, but nothing since.

The water fill procedure seems to be the failing item; during the test #31 the display shows water fill, then fill stop, but I do not hear water flowing.

A new filter has been installed, and the exterior door water works well. 10 second fill test on the door water, produces 1.25 cups of water.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
he manually added water caused the tray to eject frozen cubes, but nothing since.
Sounds like the ice maker is working correctly but the water valve is not working. Here's the part you need:
whirlpool-filter-valve-assy-wpw10179146-ap6016381_01_l.jpg

If you want to do a quick test to confirm the water valve is bad, Remove the mounting screws holding the water valve to the machine so you can maneuver it. Disconnect the water line under the brown coil and disconnect the two wire connector on the brown coil. Position the valve over a container to catch water and use a cheater/test cord to supply the brown coil with 120 VAC. No water, bad valve.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was that the person complaining about Whirlpool refrigerators? I deleted them all and told him I'll leave his original post if they promise to quit complaining in every WP thread..lol
You nailed it Rick! LOL

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Sounds good Keep us posted. You know I was just kidding you about the double post, right? It happens all the time. LOL

rickgburton

Staff member
Give it 24 hours and check again. After replacing the water valve there's going to air in the lines. If you run a few gallons through the dispenser, that will get most of it out. There's still air in the ice maker line. It sometimes takes 2-3 harvest cycles before water reaches the ice maker.

rickgburton

Staff member
No need to use a straw and fill it. It will go through a harvest cycle on it's own as long as it's turned on.