• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.51335710 ice maker water line freezing

bartenderfloyd

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore side by side 106.51335710 with the ice maker on the freezer door. The ice maker stopped filling so I let it thaw and it worked for a few hours, made some cubes, then stopped. I tested the water valve and the ice maker solenoid works fine. I tried to blow through the ice maker water line and could not. I let it thaw again for a few hours longer this time until I could blow through the water line. Again, it started making ice (almost a half bin) and then stopped.

I can not confirm but I looked at the ice maker sheet and tech sheet in a previous thread (here https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...not-filling-with-water-diagnostic-mode.84674/) and figured I might have a fill tube heater. I pulled off the front freezer panel and saw 2 lines with a light blue and white wire. (see pic). Both plugs show 120v.

I have a feeling the black plug going through the left of the panel is connected to the heater element. I ohm tested it and get nothing. Am I testing the right thing? Is that the heater? How do I replace it if it is? The Ice maker sheet says "replace fc door." What does that mean?

Attachments

• 20210601_182048.jpg
    20210601_182048.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 63

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The LB(light blue) and WH(white) wires go to the ice maker fill tube heater and also goes to the dispenser heater.

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below.

Its very strange, but I don't even see your fill tube heater assembly at all as a separate part.

How do I replace it if it is? The Ice maker sheet says "replace fc door." What does that mean?
Replace fc door means Replace Freezer Door. What color is your freezer door? Stainless Steel? If so, then here's the freezer door for your model below.

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-w11125075.pdf
    831 KB · Views: 52

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also make sure you have very good water pressure to the refrigerator, low water pressure can make that fill tube freeze up.

Jake

bartenderfloyd

Premium Member
Wow, $700.00 to fix it. Seeing as a new replacement is only $400 - $500 more it doesn't make sense to repair. Couldn't I just cut through the plastic on the inside somewhere and fish out the "non serviceable" heater and replace with one from a different model? Are the heaters all the same? Is there one that would closely match? Has anyone tried to take this door apart? I can't find pics anywhere. Probably because it really isn't cost efficient to fix.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Couldn't I just cut through the plastic on the inside somewhere and fish out the "non serviceable" heater and replace with one from a different model? Are the heaters all the same? Is there one that would closely match? Has anyone tried to take this door apart? I can't find pics anywhere. Probably because it really isn't cost efficient to fix.
That I don't know, never tried that before.

Check to see if you are getting voltage to the fill tube heater, if not then the problem is the control board.

--->Also check for any broken wires at the bottom of the freezer door.

Jake

bartenderfloyd

Premium Member
Yes, I have 120v on both plugs with the lt blue and white wires. Both plugs they plug into have no resistance, both read OL.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then the voltage should be fine.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake