• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Refrigerator 106.51782412 No Ice

stevea3342

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I'm not getting any ice so I replaced the icemaker. Still no ice so I replaced the computer/control board. Still no ice. What else is there? Water in door works and ice crusher motor runs.
Diagnostic code 44 gives message 23 after 20 or so seconds.

Attachments

• 20210615_132007.jpg
    20210615_132007.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 44

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, first check for broken wires under the freezer door hinge. This is a very common problem when the ice maker will not work at all.

Look here:

You also need to remove your bottom kickplate grille, You also HAVE TO REMOVE the black wire harness LOOM too, broken wires can be underneath it, look at the attachment below.:)

Jake

Attachments

• FREEZER DOOR - b4.jpg
    FREEZER DOOR - b4.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 45

stevea3342

Premium Member
That was the answer, mostly. Thank you. I repaired 2 wires that were broken and another one that broke by just looking at it. So now the 44 test gives code 22 and I can manually fill the tray with code 45. The ice doesn't automatically harvest but if I go back into 44 and activate the harvesting cycle it dumps the ice (it doesn't refill). The ice maker switch is definitely on and plugged into the wire loom. Diagnostic 48 gives 02 that the ice bucket is detected. Another bad wire? I hope not a bad user interface assembly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, check for another bad wire first.

Jake

stevea3342

Premium Member
There were more bad wires but they weren't obviously broken looking at them from the outside. I tried pulling on them one at a time and 2 more seemed 'stretchy'. When I fixed those, ice started working. I used a nice silcone wire with fine stranded wire. Solder + shrink tube. I hope it lasts. The stock wire has a terrible vinyl or hard insulator and is stranded but looks like only four strands or something like that. It was made to fail.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Steve, good job finding more bad wires.(y)

Glad to hear your ice maker is now working again after you repaired the bad wires.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake