• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.55242400 Condenser Fan Motor

RepairHelp2121

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello all!

I've got a Kenmore 106.55242400 refrigerator that has a condenser fan motor that won't stay running. I noticed the front of the fridge, where the door seals, gets really hot. I checked the back and the fan isn't spinning. If I manually turn it, it will start to spin but I guess it doesn't start back up the next time the condenser runs.

I've purchased what I thought was a replacement but the wiring confuses me (I'm a complete novice.)

The original fan motor has 4 wires connected to the motor with a molex connection - 2 white and 2 red.
* 2 white and 1 red go to the condenser it looks like
* 1 red goes to another connection

The replacement motor I bought only has two black wires. I'm just not sure if I bought the wrong part of I'm just too inexperiences to understand how to wire it up. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

Replacement Motor
20210613_111031.jpg

Original motor. I think model 5KSM51AG (GE branded)
20210613_110652.jpg

Connection on back of original motor
20210613_110007.jpg

1 red wire from original motor goes here (right most red wire)

20210613_110216_HDR.jpg
The other red wire and two white wires from the original motor look to go here
20210613_110042_HDR.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the correct part for your machine:
whirlpool-condenser-motor-kit-w10124096-ap4318657_01_l.jpg

RepairHelp2121

Premium Member
@rickgburton So the wiring harness adapter is not accepting the existing molex connection. It's just slightly different. It seems like the actual connection (the metal parts that touch) are the same but the shape of the holes is different. Where the supplied adapter has a more circular/octagon middle hole, the original connection in the fridge has that same more circular.oxtagon hole on the edge of the molex.

There are three prongs, with the two on the outsides being the only ones that have wires. It's just the shape of the holes is out of order between the adapter and the existing connector.

It's like it almost fits...but something it just holding it up.

The closest comment on that part page was this. Wanted to be sure I wasn't barking up the wrong tree though. Thank you!

"
I purchased the condenser fan motor kit for this model but the wiring harness does not fit my existing wire connection. I have the old 3-prong wire connection, but the wiring harness you sent was also three prong but the plastic tabs do not line up correctly. Any suggestions?
Ken for Model Number 10651582200

Answer Hello Ken. You ordered the wrong motor. You needed to order W10181323 for your model number. Thanks.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Cut the connectors off and use a couple wire nuts and black tape if needed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I double checked and Rick did post the correct condenser fan motor part number for your model.

Did you order the condenser fan motor part from Rick's link to it above at AppliancePartsPros?

Jake

RepairHelp2121

Premium Member
One of the forum members looked at a picture of the motor I ordered and said it was a knockoff. That's what I get for trying to cut corners.

I appreciate all the help! Gonna get the real deal Panasonic motor shipped out. Everyone has been super helpful. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, send the condenser motor back to wherever you got it from for a full refund and order it from Ricks link above in post #2 and it will come perfect.:)

Jake

RepairHelp2121

Premium Member
@Jake So I got the the genuine Panasonic part - from whirlpool

The adapter still has the same problem. Notice that the black connection coming out of the fridge has the octagon shaped male prong on the right. The adatper has the octagon female slot in the middle. Have you ever seen this?

Attachments

• 20210625_164500.jpg
    20210625_164500.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210624_202851.jpg
    20210624_202851.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 41
  • model.jpg
    model.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 41

rickgburton

Staff member
It should have come with an instruction sheet and tells you "how to". Click on the part link. The last picture is the instruction sheet. Click on that and you can see your connector in the picture on the instruction sheet. If worst comes to worst just cut the connector off and use a couple wire nuts to connect the two wires. It's an AC motor so it doesn't matter which wire goes where.

RepairHelp2121

Premium Member
@rickgburton Thanks man. Yeah I looked at the picture and watched the video. That video has the octagon shaped hole in the middle of the adapter too. Maybe my fridge has a weird connection coming out of it? The motor that was in it was the old round metal one. The connection from the fridge just plugged right in.

This adapter just seems to have the octagon shaped hole in the middle instead of the edge like the male connection coming out of the fridge has.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So do what Rick said:
If worst comes to worst just cut the connector off and use a couple wire nuts to connect the two wires. It's an AC motor so it doesn't matter which wire goes where.

Jake