• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.58146800 clicking

kavatski

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello! This is a side-by-side model that was built in 03/2008. Over the last few weeks I’ve noticed occasional loud clicking coming from the rear of the unit, near the compressor. It seems to happen in a predictable pattern:

1. The fans turn on (both seem to be working fine). The compressor does NOT start.
2. About ten seconds later, there’s a click.
3. About two minutes later, there’s a second click, followed by a third after about five seconds.
4. After another two minutes or so, there’s a fourth click and the compressor starts up.
5. At this point the compressor usually runs for 2-3 minutes and then everything shuts off.

This sequence of events seems to occur every few hours and will repeat 2-3 times, and then everything goes back to normal operation: the compressor and fans start up together and run for a longer amount of time, and as far as I can tell it‘s cooling properly.

Thinking it was the start device, I replaced it, but the clicking continues. I haven’t changed out the run capacitor. I tested the compressor pins and got C-S of 8.5 ohms but C-R of 5.9, which seems a tad high. The compressor isn’t running hot.

Based on the fact that there’s a pattern to the clicks and the unit will operate for several hours between when the clicking happens, I’m not sure what issue could be so intermittent. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
C-R compressor pins should be between 1 to 5 ohms, yours is pushing 6 ohms That's the problem, your compressor is dying a slow death.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.:)

Jake

kavatski

Premium Member
Thanks for the follow-up! I had a bad feeling that would be the answer. 😂

Just to satisfy my curiosity, since I spent so much time trying to puzzle it out and search through the forum, is there a reasonable guess as to why the clicking is always in the same predictable sequence? I assume it’s the start device trying to start the compressor, but it always manages to start it on the fourth click at the exact same time point, and I’d have thought sometimes it would take longer to start than other times.

It also tends to happen in the evening - could it be that the compressor is at the early stage of going bad where lower line voltage at peak periods is just enough to make this happen?

We’ll start looking for a new fridge now regardless, given delivery times these days. Looks like our choices will be GE, Frigidaire, or Whirlpool to get something relatively soon. Any reason to favour one of those over another in a 33” side-by-side with ice and water?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Because the run winding in the compressor is failing, so it tries to go back to the start winding, thus the clicking.

It also tends to happen in the evening - could it be that the compressor is at the early stage of going bad where lower line voltage at peak periods is just enough to make this happen?
That's quite possible, yes.

We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, and KitchenAid.

Jake

kavatski

Premium Member
That helps! The wife wants side-by-side and I want French doors; she wants a water dispenser and I don’t. Should be fun to shop for a new one, but narrowing down the brands is a good start. Thanks again for your time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake