• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.70834100 - Freezer cold, frig not quite enough

tab a

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I'm having trouble getting my compressor to cycle off. With the temp control as low as it will go, the freezer temp is 0 and the frig is 41.5. Freezer fan is blowing lots of air in the freezer but I don't feel a lot of air moving into the frig section. There does not appear to be any control to modify that. As far as I can tell, no obstructions in the duct between.

I found this page which shows airflow, and again no mention of a duct damper or control
manualslib.com/manual/560748/Kenmore-Top-Mount-Refrigerator-106.html?page=12#manual

Shouldn't the compressor be shutting off at these temps/control setting? Maybe bad thermostat? It's closed at room temp, and opens when I put it in another freezer, but does not open in another frig set at 40 degrees.

I could turn the temp control colder but am concerned the compressor is already getting fairly hot--not so hot I can't keep my hand on it, but past only warm--and that would only make it worse.

Thank you!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure the condensor coils under the machine are clear and not packed with dust/dirt or pet hair. Make sure the condensor fan is working. Open the freezer door and look on the back wall for any frost. Look along the bottom of the cover for any ice build up. Remove the evaporator cover and check the frost pattern. Leave the machine plugged in and running. There should be a very, very light coat of white frost on all the coils, top to bottom, no ice or snow. Take a pic and post it here. I'll take a look at it.

tab a

Premium Member
I had checked all those things prior to asking: All correct with the possible exception of the evap frost pattern. After running maybe 45 minutes the curved ends and the bottom row were nicely frosted. The other rows maybe very slightly. Haven't had a chance to see if running longer would make any difference.

Can't picture how that would matter, if freezer is 0 degrees?

Thanks again.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
After running maybe 45 minutes
24 hours with few door openings
Can't picture how that would matter,
It gives me a snapshot of the sealed system and gives you a chance to look for ice that might be blocking the air chanel. You checked everything else so there's not a lot of things left to check.