• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Refrigerator 253.60532406 Freezer Works Fine, Fridge Not Cold Enough

MikeC103

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Have this older Kenmore as an extra fridge in the garage that is running warm. The freezer is working fine. I probably will just get rid of it but am totally stumped by this as all the suggested fixes posted in other threads check out. The evaporator coils aren't frozen over, the evaporator fan runs ok, the defrost timer advances and coil heats up so the defrost thermostat is good. There is no blockage of any kind between the compartments.

Pulled the thermostat and it has continuity. It also turns the fridge off at the warmest setting and will turn it on if I advance it to the coldest. However, it is almost as if it isn't reading the internal temperature of the fridge correctly. Is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We need to know the freezer temp and refrigerator temp Mike.

Go by 2 refrigerator/freezer thermometers at Walmart or Target.:)

Jake

MikeC103

Premium Member
Ha - already prepared! The fridge is running at 40 degrees on the max setting. It previously sat around 34 on the rec'd middle setting.

The freezer is at 8 degrees with the damper knob in the middle.

Also, just fyi - the condenser fan is running fine and coils are all clean.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Freezer temp should be 0 degrees.

So since its not getting to 0 degrees your looking at a sealed system problem, most likely the compressor is getting worn out and weak and its only a matter of time till it stops cooling at all.

Jake

MikeC103

Premium Member
Ah. I don't doubt this could be the case. However even at 8 degrees shouldn't the fridge be able to reach a lower temperature? Is there any chance that the thermostat is misreading the internal temperature?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not if the ambient temperature in the garage is too high and/or the condenser coil is clogged with lint/pet hair.:)

Set the freezer at the lowest temperature and see if gets to 0 degrees.

Jake

MikeC103

Premium Member
Ha - no, even I know the first to do is give everything a thorough vacuuming!

Well that seemed to do the trick - below 0 now. Any chance that the evaporator fan is working but not spinning fast enough to create enough of a flow?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I have seen that happen a few times, but usually the temperature would be much further off the mark.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
frigidaire-evaporator-fan-motor-5303918549-ap4700070_01_m.jpg

Jake

MikeC103

Premium Member
OK I have second thoughts about it being the evaporator fan because with everything at the max temperature settings, the fridge does get down to about 38 degrees and shuts down. The moment you open the door and shut it, the compressor kicks on for a bit, returns to temp and turns off again.

I feel like this really leans in the direction of the thermostat. Is there any way to bypass it to see if the fridge will get colder than the 38 degrees? I've looked at some videos where the connect a wire between the two contacts but not sure if that's a good thing to do or not.

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

MikeC103

Premium Member
Okay - I think we're on to something. Jumped it out and let it run for a few hours. Temperature got below 30.

Ordering the thermostat. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job Mike, you nailed it!

Jake