• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Refrigerator 501-78319 Faulty start relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablito1755

Premium Member
Model Number
501-78319
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi :

My fridge was purchased at Sears in Canada and is experiencing the same symptoms as described in this thread. In summary, I hear a loud-ish click on, the compressor runs for about 10 seconds or so and clicks off again. After a few minutes, the cycle repeats... frequently enough. I mean that sometimes the compressor does manage to run for longer than 10 seconds perhaps even a normal cycle. As a result, the fridge is cool, food in the freezer remains frozen (no obvious thawing) and ice maker works (when used... which is infrequent).

I pulled out the fridge, removed the back panel and tracked the clicking noise to what I believe is the start relay (black component hanging off the compressor). Please see the attached images.

Is that right? Is this just the start relay or are there two components here? I just want to be sure I'm ordering the right thing. Also, can/should I test the relay to confirm it is the problem?

Many thanks!
Pab

Attachments

• compressor1.jpeg
    compressor1.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 77
  • compressor2.jpeg
    compressor2.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 61

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best to use the one similar to that one. Your Kenmore 501 is made by LG.

This one: WR07X10097

Here's the main thread on this compressor start relay:

Jake

pablito1755

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I have read through that thread as well as this older one. I then took off the back panel again. Would you mind confirming the following?
  • My compressor is the EGX 70HLC (instead of the EGX 90HLC as mentioned by Ricky). I believe the WR07X10097 is also suitable in my case.
  • You don't appear to feel it necessary for me to replace the WR07X10097's overload... which I assume would require me to open up the TSD to change.
  • The component plugged into the TSD (which looks like a mailbox in my photo) is the run capacitor. I can reuse the one I have if I can confirm it is still good, but it is optional anyway.
  • Per the older thread, I checked the resistance of the TSD from S to R and it was well above the 26 Ohms suggested... badness. The compressor terminals did fall within the suggested ranges. :)
I will check with a local parts dealer tomorrow, but I also came across these on Amazon :
amazon.ca/General-Electric-WR07X10097-Relay-Overload/dp/B00ECX0EQ6 which appears to be the genuine GE part
amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07RYWZYG8/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A28ZG5PZIAOY73&psc=1#customerReviews which does not.

Is there any reason to think the knock-off won't do the job adequately? Interestingly, the knock-off looks exactly like my TSD. They did a good job on that at least. :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On the TSD compressor start relay there is no way to ohm test them. You'd just need to order and replace it.

I don't trust amazon when it comes to appliance parts.

amazon does not monitor where parts come from there, like AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic does.

The reason is China is flooding the market with cheap knock offs. They may or may not say OEM on the parts but it doesn't make it so. China distributors even pay people to give good reviews.

The package can look original from GE but still be from China. Lots of counterfeit parts come from China.

Jake

pablito1755

Premium Member
Hi Jake : I just wanted to follow-up to confirm that the problem is resolved.

I first tried to source the part through a local distributor. Though they had it in stock, they would not sell it to me stating that LG had flagged it as non serviceable by the customer. They would only sell to an LG approved tech.

I considered AppliancePartPros and RepairClinic, but I've had a few bad surprises with duty and customs in the past. One of the two doesn't appear to ship outside the US anyway.

Though I took your warning to heart, in the end, I decided to try my luck with the GE branded part off Amazon. Only time will tell if it lasts, but everything is working fine so far. I was able to reuse the existing capacitor without issue.

I just wanted to thank you again! It is nice to be rid of that clicking.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Pab, glad to hear the new compressor start relay fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.