• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 596.71814101 coil frosting

Jonathan.sigl

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have an older Kenmore 596.71814101 fridge that I use for a beer fridge. The problem is that the element in the freezer freezes up and doesn’t allow cold air to travel to the fridge. The fans seem to work the condenser works, I don’t think that it defrosts. Every few weeks I have to take the freezer back panel off and hit it with a blow dryer. After that it works well until it freezes up again, about 3 weeks. I checked continuity on the temp switch and when it is cold, the switch is closed, and when it is warm, it’s open.
Does anyone know how to make it force defrost? Or could help me troubleshoot the defrost system? The frost on the coil is not ice. Thanks.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
596.81714101 does not pull up as good, please re-check your model number.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

If the defrost thermostat ohm tests for continuity, while its cold and frosty, then ohm test the defrost heater next. Disconnect power to the refrigerator first before ohm testing.

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly WP12219401

This video shows you how to ohm test it:

If your defrost heater ohms good, then the only part left that would cause this auto defrost problem is the defrost timer.

Here's the defrost timer for your model:
R0131577 Defrost Timer Kit

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jonathan.sigl

Premium Member
Very weird. The timer seems to be working properly also. Pin 1 has continuity with pin 4 during normal operation, and pin 1 and 2 have continuity during defrost. The timing motor turns and it seems to be working properly. Might you have a schematic I could look at? I’d like to shoot some wires.
thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Turn the defrost timer clockwise slowly till you hear a LOUD CLICK, then stop. Now it is in the defrost cycle, leave it alone and lets see if the defrost heater comes on and it comes out of defrost BY-ITSELF, usually the defrost cycle takes about 30 minutes.

Jake

Jonathan.sigl

Premium Member
I unplugged the ice maker, then moved the defrost timer until it clicked. A couple minutes later I could hear moisture falling onto the heating element. So it seems to be defrosting. I wonder if having the ice maker hooked up caused an issue. Or if the timer might have been malfunctioning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've never seen a ice maker cause a auto-defrost problem.

Leave the ice maker ON and do the same thing.

Jake

Jonathan.sigl

Premium Member
It froze up again. I checked the temp switch and it was open. So I have determine that the temp switch is bad. What part number should I get to replace the temp switch? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, are you referring to the defrost thermostat switch?

Here's the the defrost thermostat switch for your model you can order:
WP10442411 Defrost Thermostat

Jake