Kenmore refrigerator 596.76593600 not shutting off.

flashover06

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello...new user and thanks in advance for any help.

Unit is about 11 years old. I replaced ice/water valve last summer. Over the last few days, the fridge won't stop running. We noticed it when we found a few items were partially frozen, then the water dispenser started dispensing slush. I put a thermometer in there and it was reading 30 degrees. I adjusted the temp up to about 45 and waited. It did shut off and temp went to about 36. Then it went back down. I tried (twice) shutting off the breaker for a few minutes in an attempt to reset (this worked in the past as this problem has happened a few times over the life of the unit). Didn't work this time. The coils are clean (I do this twice a year). Today, tried breaker again. The built in temp gauge showed freezer at -3 (set at 0) and fridge at 43 (set at 45) and my stand alone gauge showed 28. Anything else I can check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its most likely the refrigerator section thermistor or control board. Check the thermistor first by removing it and warming it in your hand to room temperature then use a multimeter to ohm test its resistance. At room temperature (77*F) the thermistor should measure about 10K ohms.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
12002355 Thermistor Kit

When you click the link to your thermistor you will see a video on how to access it in the refrigerator section.

Jake