• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KENMORE Refrigerator - 596.79543014 Not cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmacgregor

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi Everyone,

My residence was built in 2012 and we purchased around 2015. The refrigerator in question was existing from the initial build.

Make: Kenmore Bottom Mount Refrigerator
Model: 596.79543014
Serial: K15101576

Previous night, the fridge was working properly. However when I came downstairs in the AM the digital controls located on the front left side of the fridge were all no longer illuminated and the water/ice dispenser would not operate. When I attempted to actuate the dispenser all LED's would light up and stay illuminated and there would just be a steady alarm sound. At first I thought no big deal as we could survive without the dispenser, but I later realized the compressor and evaporator fan were not working either and we ended up losing a ful fridge of food.

Thus far I have:
  • Dismantled and cleaned the entire fridge - ensured all hoses were clear. *important to note that after the fridge warmed up there was not a significant amount of runoff - so I don't think anything was frozen up.
  • Metered the run capacitor and start device - had some funny readings so I have ordered those replacement parts just in case.
  • Metered the compressor itself and had nominal readings.
  • Checked the control board for any signs of damage or loose connections - none found - very slight burnt electronics smell but nothing significant. *have a new control board on order as well in the event it is needed.
  • During the troubleshooting process I noticed I am getting power from the line in AC power to the control board, but am NOT getting any power to the compressor or evaporator fan.
  • When I initially energize the fridge I can hear what seems to be the ice machine "clunk", but I currently have it set to "off".
My questions:
  • I understand there is an additional board for the actual front controls itself - could this possibly be the issue as opposed to the rear control board?
  • I have removed the two front screws from the water/ice dispenser - but does anyone know how to go about removing the front controls to access the board itself?
  • Any general advice on my troubleshooting efforts or if anyone has come across a similar issue? I am a journeyman electrician but have limited experience with appliances. I cant seem to wrap my head around the potentially faulty run capacitor and starter causing ALL of these issues. I am leaning towards the rear control board being the culprit, but as my experience is limited I could be wayyyy off and would appreciate any advice before I dump any more money into this refrigerator.
  • I tried calling sears for assistance but obviously they have since gone out of business. I have called Kenmore and they directed me to some website for assistance but they would not assist with any troubleshooting.
Anyways, if anyone could help out that would be great. Would also just like to say thanks to the entire community for the wealth of knowledge I have already garnered from these forums. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I understand there is an additional board for the actual front controls itself - could this possibly be the issue as opposed to the rear control board?
Hi Eric, lets start with your first question. No, the main control board in the back controls the compressor and condenser fan motor.

Here's the main control board for your model:
Electronic Control Board WPW10312695

Ships to Canada, if others in Canada need it too:
Control Board WPW10312695

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Do--->Service Test - 102 Compressor / Condenser Fan
--->Press the Refrigerator Temperature UP /+ keypad and Refrigerator DOWN /- keypad to toggle Compressor/Condenser fan On and Off.

On the main control board at connector J1 pin 1(blue wire) and pin 8(white wire) you should get 120 volts in that test.

Jake

Attachments

• techsheet-w10410713-reva.pdf
    204.3 KB · Views: 23

ericmacgregor

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you so much for your reply, and for the schematic and wiring diagram. I really appreciate your help.

To confirm, the front control panel doesn't seem to be working at all... As previously noted - while energized - the entire front digital readout is NOT illuminated. If i try any of the numerous functions everything illuminates. When I hold down the ice/water dispenser everything illuminates and there is a steady alarm sound.

When I energize the appliance and try to follow the service test instructions of holding down the refrigerator +/- temperature control buttons, the entire front control panel just illuminates all the various indicator lights and there is no change on the J1 pin 1 and pin 8, i consistently read around 3.1 VAC.

I received the new capacitor and starter and have installed them, it seemed to make no difference at all. The main control board (WPW10312695) is set to arrive tomorrow. Do you think I should per-emptively order any other parts?

I was able to figure out how to remove the front control panel to access that control board. I inspected the board and it seemed fine visually.

Thanks again for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.

I have attached pictures of what I am talking about with the front control panel.

Attachments

• fridge1.jpg
    fridge1.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 23
  • fridge2.jpg
    fridge2.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 24

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Locate the J6 connector and measure the voltage between J6-1 (blk/grn) and J6-2 (red/blk) = 12 Volts DC operating voltage for control panel.

Jake

ericmacgregor

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I get 12.8 VDC between J6-1 and J6-2.

New board is set to arrive in the next hour or two.

Thanks again for your time.

ericmacgregor

Premium Member
I installed the new main control board and the fridge seems like its working BUT I am now getting a code of PEOOOO at the front panel. Fridge seems like it's starting to cool.

ericmacgregor

Premium Member
Fans seem like their working... not convinced the fridge is getting cold. Main display is still flashing PE0000 CONSTANTLY

ericmacgregor

Premium Member
Was able to program the display. Everything is now working properly. Thank you for all your assistance Jake. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Eric, glad to hear the new control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.