• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 795.79043.312 - icemaker leaving frozen sheet sheet of ice in bottom of bin

dawilson34

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
after 5 or 6 cycles, find ice sheet in bottom of bin along with a few cubes. Seems to be overfilling, Have replaced icemaker and solenoid.
Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hold in the reset button on the ice maker and watch it cycle and see if the water flow into the ice maker turns off in 5 to 7 seconds.

The reset button is underneath the bottom of the ice maker motor module.

Are the cubes all dumping out as the ice maker motor twists them out?

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Ice Maker Assembly Kit AEQ72909603

Jake

dawilson34

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake.
I've checked the fill and it seems OK. It appears that all of the cubes are not dropping and when it fills there is too much water because some of the cube molds are staying filled with ice, I have replaced the icemaker assembly and no no avail.
However, since my original post, it has worked perfectly. For now I will watch and see if it stays working

dawilson34

Premium Member
Back again... The ice maker has done it again. After several cycles, I found a frozen clump of cubes frozen together. I am using a small tray inside of the ice bin to be able to see what the ice dump looks like. I cycled the icemaker and saw it dumped all ice and watched the water fill with no apparent overfill. Again I am at a loss as to why it would work for several cycles then fail. I have replaced practically everything.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, I'm not sure why its doing that, very uncommon for sure.

Its best at this point to contact Sears to come out at 1-800-469-4663 to see what's going on.

Jake

dawilson34

Premium Member
After watching the ice maker do the same thing - that is work for 7-8 cycles and then drip water into the tray, I see a possible clue. Each time I see it has dripped, I have noticed that the frontmost cubes have not emptied. This would explain my symptoms. But what is making the cubes not dump when the rest of them do?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bad ice maker, order and replace the ice maker.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.