• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Refrigerator 970R724381 ice maker not dumping ice, now not filling

eric7452

Premium Member
Model Number
970R724381
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Noticed a couple days ago that the ice maker on my fridge was no longer dumping ice. At that point there was a full tray of ice waiting to be dumped, but it was just sitting in the tray. I took it apart today and removed the icemaker assembly to check for anything frozen, visibly broken, etc. I saw that the ice level arm (the white plastic one) appeared to be in an "up" position, I opened up the gearbox on the end of the assembly to check for anything stripped/seized and I reset the arm into the "down" position. Dumped the ice that was in the tray, reassembled everything and powered back up, now I'm seeing that the tray isn't even filling. Before I go and order a replacement icemaker assembly, was wondering if there was anything else I can/should try? Water pressure seems fine, water's being dispensed at the door same as it's ever been. I also replaced the filter to see if that makes a difference but didn't seem to.

Last edited:

eric7452

Premium Member
Realized I shouldn't have messed with the bail arm, put it back in the "up" position. Still nothing doing as far as dispensing water into the tray.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sometimes the fill tube to the icemaker can freeze closed. It might need to be thawed.

That is a Canadian Kenmore model. We don't have access to its parts list so I'm not sure what other help we can be without being able to look up its particular design.

Dan O.

eric7452

Premium Member
Would the tube freezing up have caused the ice not to dump initially? That was the first problem I ran into, I only noticed the water not dispensing after I was able to disassemble it and empty the tray.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
eric7452 said:
Would the tube freezing up have caused the ice not to dump initially?

No.

Dan O.

eric7452

Premium Member
Update - looks like it resolved itself with all the power cycling I did taking it apart and reassembling.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.