• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore refrigerator ice maker stopped working

Buckingham

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,

Last night I found that the ice bucket was empty so obviously the ice maker has stopped working for sometime. When I open the freezer door, the ice maker LED blinking twice then a short pause and the cycle repeated. I reached in the ice maker tray, there is no ice and there is no water at all. The water dispenser is still working fine. Please help, thanks.

Buckingham

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
TEST FOR WHIRLPOOL OPTICS *Open the freezer door and check the status LED 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay-repeated: Tape the emitter door back so it doesn't block the beam 2 Blinks followed by a 1 second delay: Bad optics

LED is on steady: Optics good

Here's the optics kit for your model you can order here(Video Included):
Whirlpool 4389102 Ice Level Power Control Board Kit

Buckingham

Premium Member
Hi rickgburton,

Here is the observation on the LED test:
- Open the freezer door: LED blinks twice then a short delay then repeated.
- Tape the emitter door back: LED is on steady
So according to your message, the optics is good. Please advice what should be done next.

Thanks,

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Put some water in the ice maker and see if dumps a load of ice. If it does I would suspect the water valve.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Buckingham

Premium Member
I put water in the ice maker tray, later, the water was frozen into ice but the ice cubes were not dumped out into the ice bucket at all. Does the white plastic "fingers" suppose to push the ice cubes out of the ice maker tray and into the ice bucket ? The "fingers" do not do anything at all in this case. Also, I don't hear the sound of the ice maker water supply solenoid any more (it was heard regularly when the ice maker still working). The black water tube where water supposes to flow from and into the ice maker tray was check and there is no ice build-up. What should be the next step to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then the problem is your ice maker itself, because that water you put in the ice maker should of cycled out, yes the plastic ejector arm fingers are suppose to push the ice out.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order here(Video Included):
Whirlpool 2198597 Complete Icemaker Assembly (8 Cube)

Jake

Buckingham

Premium Member
I ordered a complete ice maker, installed it and it worked fine now; full bucket of ice after a night. When the old ice maker removed I noted that there is something loose inside the white cover on the left side, once the white cover was removed, sure enough the big white plastic wheel was broken off from its shaft (don't know how !).

Many thanks to Jake and rickgburton for your helps in solving my problem.:eek:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup Buckingham, seen that white wheel gear strip many times.

Good job, glad the new ice maker fixed it.:)

Jake