• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Series 90 Washer - drain and spin problems

bser bri

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,

My Kenmore Series 90 washer recently began having troubles spinning. I ended up pulling it apart and replaced the agitator dogs, motor coupler and the washer drive. However, that didn't seem to fix the problem.

The washer still doesn't always spin (on occasion I can get it to work) and now it seems to have trouble draining the water from the tank. I'm also starting to smell electrical problems.

Can you please help me figure out how to isolate the electrical problems that may be associated with spinning and draining?

Thank you.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You may have more than one problem. Remove the cabinet and temporarily bypass the lid switch (Use a small piece of insulated wire to short the two wires in the connector). DO NOT SHORT ANYTHING TO THE GREEN WIRE. Make sure the tub is empty. Remove the two pump clips and pull the pump straight off the motor. Leave the hoses connected and push the pump out of the way. Start the machine in a spin cycle. If the tub doesn't spin or is slow spinning, replace the clutch:
Clutch 285785 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Clutch-285785-01200107.jpg

Take one of the hoses off the pump and see if there is anything caught inside. Use a bucket when you remove the hose. If there's nothing caught inside replace it:
Drain Pump 3363394 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Drain-Pump-3363394-00608666.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Time how long it takes to drain a full tub of water, normal would be 90 seconds or less.

When the tub does not have any water in it does it spin normal?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Opps, sorry Rick!

Jake

bser bri

Premium Member
When I can get it to drain it only takes about 30 seconds to drain. And yes, it spins normally with no water. Thanks Jake.

Brian

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When you can't get it to drain what happens? Any humming sounds?

Jake

bser bri

Premium Member
Yes, there's humming noises. Same thing happens when it's supposed to be agitating. And that's another thing I forgot to mention, it doesn't agitate either.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting.

It does this on all speeds right? On all the cycles?

You may have a burned contact at the motor switch itself, This video shows you how to access the motor switch at the 1:38 point, you don't have to remove the water pump. You will see the tech. remove the wire harness from the motor at the 1:38 point, then look inside at the metal contact pins to see if any are burned in the connector and on the motor switch itself.

Here's the motor switch for your model:
WP8529896 Motor Start Switch

[video=youtube_share;Oeiyjt7807o]https://youtu.be/Oeiyjt7807o[/video]

If that's all fine, then I say your timer may be the issue.

Here's the timer for your model:
WP3951769 Timer-Washer

Let us know what you find.

Jake