Kenmore Side By Side Frig. Condenser Coil Cleaning

betseewetsee

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
HELP! Could someone please tell me how to access the coils in my Kenmore
Model # 106.51552103, Serial # SM 2045567 side by side frig?They are very dusty and need cleaning, but there is a metal Grill type apparatus thing covering them and I can't get to them. Also, the grill covering ( inside) ,NOT the plastic grill on the outside front). is very dusty, but I can only access the front of it. Also, the pan thats collects water cannot be accessed to clean it, because of the metal bar that supports the water apparatus.
PLEASE don't take offense, Gentleman, but undoubtly, a man designed this model and didn't take into account the hardship on us ladies that like to take care of our appliances! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Basically here is how:
To clean the condenser: Remove the front base kickplate grille.

You can use a vacuum cleaner attachment or brush to clean the grille, the open areas behind the grille and the front surface area of the condenser.

Vacuum Hose Attachment

Condenser Brush

Replace the front base kickplate grille when finished.

The drip pan is non-removable on these newer models as they were on the older models.

Jake

betseewetsee

Premium Member
HI Jake, thanks for your quick reply, but I have tried your pointers and even with a special flexible, yellow, felt material wand that I ordered from Sears, there still is no way to reach the coils or the inside of the grill that tends to fold inside the frig. The grill metal bars are too close together I have even taken the back cover off of the frig trying to access the coils. IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING! The manual doesn't give you a clue, and I have spoken with the 800 tech and he didn't know either. Incidentally, the side by side is only 4 years old.
You are great to take your time to respond to these questions! THANK YOU!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It says you only need to clean the front of those folding condenser coils. If you want to clean inside of them, I would recommend blowing them out with an air compressor or compressed air from a container.:)

Jake

betseewetsee

Premium Member
Great Idea!

Jake, thanks for the great idea of the compressed air! I will try this and be sure to update you as I am sure there are many ladies as frustrated as I am!
:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

betseewetsee

Premium Member
HI JAKE!THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Your idea of blowing the coils in the bottom of frig was a great idea! It worked! I had the question about how to clean the coils after trying brushes etc and nothing worked. The blowing DID work! I took the back cardboard panel off of the back of frig and used an indoor/outdoor vaccum and the coils are very clean now! My frig thanks you too!

betseewetsee

Premium Member
follow up on how to clean coils on Kenmore side by side

:)
betseewetsee said:
HI JAKE!THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Your idea of blowing the coils in the bottom of frig was a great idea! It worked! I had the question about how to clean the coils after trying brushes etc and nothing worked. The blowing DID work! I took the back cardboard panel off of the back of frig and used an indoor/outdoor vaccum and the coils are very clean now! My frig thanks you too!
Of course one does have to dust a little in the room afterwards- BUT it is worth it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your very welcome.:) Glad to help you with the coil cleaning.:)

Jake

Kenmore Elite Coils

:confused: Just wanted you to know I found the same problem and was very frustrated with trying to figure out how to clean the coils (and I am a man who usually can figure these kind of things out). The idea of blowing the dust out is a great idea. Can not understand why it was suggested that only the front coil needs cleaning. And I really can't understand why there is a condensate pan that is not removable.

betseewetsee said:
HELP! Could someone please tell me how to access the coils in my Kenmore
Model # 51552103, Serial # SM 2045567 side by side frig?They are very dusty and need cleaning, but there is a metal Grill type apparatus thing covering them and I can't get to them. Also, the grill covering ( inside) ,NOT the plastic grill on the outside front). is very dusty, but I can only access the front of it. Also, the pan thats collects water cannot be accessed to clean it, because of the metal bar that supports the water apparatus.
PLEASE don't take offense, Gentleman, but undoubtly, a man designed this model and didn't take into account the hardship on us ladies that like to take care of our appliances! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

b green

Premium Member
Makes quite a mess but I tilted the frigerator back some with an assistant holding it to it didn't fall over backwards and used an electric leaf blower to blast the dust out from underneath.Of course the wife wasn't happy with the dust that coated the kitchen afterwards!!
I'll have to hold a sheet up around it or enclose it somehow next time to try and hold the dust from getting everywhere.Sure did get those coils clean though!

b green:D

granpa49

Premium Member
A little dust? After reading about possible reasons that the icemaker was not working I focused in on cleaning the coils. It was as you said, impossible to access. I brought in my 6 HP shop vac and blew the dust out. It worked great. However, during the process I heard my wife gasp and when I looked around in front of the frig I saw about 5 gallons of every specie of dust bunny that has ever been identified and a few more. I had to wipe down all of the cabinet doors, sweep and mop the floor and I'll hear about this for at least the next ten years. The coils are clean though.

Burnem55

Premium Member
I added an 1/8" copper tube extension to my blow nozzle. Worked great, with compressed air. Temp back to normal, all is well!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is the back cover on (cardboard and/or steel cover over machine compartment). Check that the condenser fan motor is working correctly. It's going to be hard to tell if it's turning fast enough since you have nothing to gauge it to. You can stop the fan blade with your finger but if it makes you have second thoughts it's probably turning fast enough. Is the front grill assembly or kick plate on?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Good Job Jeff! These guys like Arthur Saghatelyan are idiots. What the hell do they think we do here, sit around and tell bedtime stories?? Here's one for Arthur Saghatelyan, Once upon a time you're stupid. The end!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Job Jeff! These guys like Arthur Saghatelyan are idiots. What the hell do they think we do here, sit around and tell bedtime stories?? Here's one for Arthur Saghatelyan, Once upon a time you're stupid. The end!
LOL, that's funny Rick, I got a good laugh out of that! And your absolutely right, those spammers think we don't monitor the forum everyday?

Jake