• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Stacked combo washer wont start after heavy load :( 110.88752796

JessMiami

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi all :)

Kenmore model #110.88752796 - bought in 2008 and has held up wonderfully since then with about 2x a week loads. About a year ago, replaced the washer lid switch, dryer push to start and dryer door switch - all went great. The only other issue we didn't address at that time was a sporadic mid cycle washer stop (maybe 1 out of every 5 times) that would be fixed by a quick turn on/off pull and push once or twice.

Fast forward to last night, I put a heavy blanket in to wash and came back to find a full drum of water and the cycle stopped pretty early in the process. Manually drained the tub, and as soon as it was mostly empty again manually set the knob forward to spin etc and it started spinning as normal - thought everything was fine.

Then went to do a small test load - but it stopped after filling. Ugh! Since then have not been able to get anything else to work other than fill. Manually advancing the knob does nothing - no sound except one time I did hear a buzz of it "trying" to work. Otherwise silent.

Flipped the breaker, tried the 6x lid reset trick which I don't think applies to this one but nothing. Dryer works fine. Dedicated breaker. Drum seems normal, moves freely, feet seem normal/nothing off balance etc. No leaks.

I'm afraid the timer is shot. Any steps I'm missing or other things I can check? Have the panel open and connections look fine - attached picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

JessMiami

Premium Member
The lid switch controls all motor functions. Check the lid switch and its actuator on the lid.

Thanks, the switch was replaced last year and looks/feels perfect, but Is there a specific test etc? Feels solid, looks and clicks fine, etc.

JessMiami

Premium Member
Good point! :) Will have to test when dh is back later with the multimeter. Now I am having trouble sliding the washer lid portion off - the 2 clips are not budging. Any tricks?

Could a super heavy load have messed up the switch; I was thinking it was the timer since it had been finicky with advancing for some time. It was strange that it seemed to be back to normal for a minute, but as soon as I ran the new mini load it froze again.

For these old stacked units - is there any reset trick or basically a power/breaker pull is it?

Thanks, appreciate your time!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
JessMiami said:
Any tricks?

Not to my knowledge

JessMiami said:
Could a super heavy load have messed up the switch

An off balance load often does.

Also make sure the lid strike is activating the switch when closed.

JessMiami said:
I was thinking it was the timer since it had been finicky with advancing for some time.

That could be an additional problem but to stop all motor functions at the same time might be a stretch. Someone could also check the wiring going to the motor. Maybe one wire got pulled off?

JessMiami said:
is there any reset trick or basically a power/breaker pull is it?

That would usually only affect electronic controls but might reset a 'sticking', tripped house breaker. It is not a trick but a last hope in hell.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

JessMiami

Premium Member
Thanks Dan, this is all helpful. Will be testing all 3 parts in question tonight when I have the mm here, fingers crossed it's the switch lol.

JessMiami

Premium Member
Update - got the MM but on my own as dh is out of town on work - determined to figure this out :) Bear with me, I have a bit more knowledge than the average person but still need the "appliance for dummies" explanations lol.

Tested the water level control - all good.

Disconnected the timer, but not sure what the next step is - exactly what am I touching to what and am I going one by one to each of the connections? I googled and saw I need the wiring/electrical diagram - is that correct? It's a bit of a mission to pull it out (one site said it's usually on the back) and I don't think I am finding what I need googling. (Think I need this one explained like I'm 7 - I read 4-5 different instructions and watched a bunch of videos and still not totally clear - sigh :)

Leaving the lid switch until the end as I'm still using the dryer and need to remove another panel to get the lid off.

Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The lid switch should be the first thing to be tested as it is the most likely to stop just the motor functions.

The wiring diagram may be inside the control panel or inside the washer cabinet.

I have no idea how you'll test the timer. For that you're likely on your own.

Good luck!

Dan O.