• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Stand Alone Ice Machine Model 106.89593100 won't make ice

UCFPaul

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I ran the manual diagnostic mode and everything checks out good. Evaporator frosts up, light blinks when it gets to proper temp, harvest cycle works, again blinks when reaching correct temp.

When I turn it on to make ice everything is operating evaporator gets cold but before ice is ready evaporator plate no longer cold. What would tell the compressor to turn off early? There is an evaporator thermistor and a unit thermistor, again both tested good on machine diagnostic.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Our Tech @bigbuck posted the tech. data sheet and service manual here:

When you say the compressor is not running is the condenser fan motor, that mounts next to the compressor, running or not?

Jake

UCFPaul

Premium Member
Jake, thank you so much for replying. Great question, I will double check and post back here.

How I really should have described the issue is when I turn the machine on, it does everything as it should. When it gets to the point that it starts the first ice cycle, water is running over the evaporator plate as it should and evaporator plate starts to get cold. (my fingers will stick to it underneath, so it is very cold). But for some reason the cold will stop before the ice is made.

The water still runs over the evaporator plate, but it's no longer cooling. Not positive it enters the harvest cycle but it seems as that is what could be happening. Just entering the harvest cycle too early

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's why I wanted you to check the condenser fan motor, if that's still running and the compressor is not running, you could have a compressor problem or the control board is failing and telling the compressor to shut down when it should still be running.

Jake

UCFPaul

Premium Member
I finally got a chance to work on the machine again. Jake, yes the fan keeps running during what is supposed to be the ice making cycle. The evaporator gets very cold at the beginning of the cycle where my fingers will stick to it but prematurely stops Cooling before the ice starts to form. The recirculating pump continues to run but the evaporator plate stops freezing. During this time the fan continues to run.

What started this whole process was the ice machine started making too much ice. Assuming it was the bin thermistor I bought a new one and replaced it. When I was doing that I realized the machine had some mold in it needed to be cleaned. I removed the necessary parts to access everything to clean it including the recirculation tube. When I put everything back together this is when the new problem started where it would not make ice.

Doing my research trying to figure out what it could be I replaced the control board, replaced the entire wire harness that contains the evaporator thermistor and replaced the bin thermistor. When I put it back together with the new parts still not making ice because the evaporator coil doesn't stay cold long enough for the ice to form. The evaporator plate does get cold enough for the frost pattern but why is it not staying cold long enough for ice to form?

UCFPaul

Premium Member
Well now there seems to be a different problem. I would still like to know the answer to the question above but I think the replacement control board I got is bad. The machine was going through Cycles a little differently so I decided to manually go through Diagnostics once again. The water level sensor show the bin was empty when it was actually full, during the cooling cycle it built a thick frost on the evaporator plate and kept calling for over 12 minutes but the evaporator thermistor never activated the light to Blink. When I went to the next step and Diagnostics all of a sudden complete power turned off to the machine. I started it back up try to go to Diagnostics it went into the mode and then again turned everything off. I am more than frustrated now. I am considering putting the original control board back in but keeping both new thermistors to see what happens. Anybody have any other ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It must be a bad main control board Paul.

I use my volt meter to check for 120 volts at the compressor start relay when the condenser fan motor is running and the compressor is NOT running. If my meter does not measure 120 volts at the compressor start relay when the compressor should obviously be running, then your main control board is bad.

Here's the main control board for your model:
Main Control Board W11034363

Jake