FIXED Kenmore Top Load Washer 110.21292010 leaves soap on clothes and extremely wet after finished

Shuffle

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi Folks

I feel like I am becoming a regular here..lol We have a Kenmore top load washing machine 110.21292010 and we have been seeing a lot of soap residue on the clothes...like even if we wash them again with just water and no soap added you'd swear we ran into the Michelin man head on and the streaks were left over from the collision, to say this is driving the wife crazy would be an understatement. The Other thing we have noticed is that we are at times having to do a separate spin cycle after the washing machine is done due to the clothes being still very wet like they didnt get spun out properly, something tells me we have problems at the OK corral here

A friend of mine thought it might be the agitator dogs, I am unsure so thought I would gather some opinions from the folks that know way more about washing machines than I do, thought or ideas of what to check out are much appreciated. Thanks :)

And it looks like it doesnt even want to spin ATM, it's just sitting there doing a steady hum. I may need some couch space at someones house when the wife finds this out, momma is not going to be happy

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If momma ain't happy, no ones happy! 😭

So what cycle is it in when its just sitting there and humming? Is the tub still full of water and it won't drain either? Just hums?

Jake

Shuffle

Premium Member
It was just sitting there and humming I couldnt open the lid at all to check and see what was going on since it was locked. I know the wife did clothes in it recently but it seemed to do its thing with the aforementioned soap and wetness of the clothes ) I wonder if when I moved it out of it's spot if I jostled it enough to try and find the model number if it ended up causing that hum issue.

Is there a way I could bypass the lid switch and lock to see what is going on with the agitation and spin cycle to see what is happening on that front and I guess make sure that the hum isnt a symptom of what is occurring or am I going down the wrong path to identify whats going on?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Shuffle

Premium Member
Sorry about the delay in replying back, my Dad was ill for a while and passed just before Fathers day here so it took me away from figuring out what was wrong. I looked into this againt today and when I was watching with top open we saw that the machine was trying to agitate and while the sound was there like it was agitating it isnt working. It does spin when it hits the spin cycle if that helps any

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your Dad passing. My Dad passed in 2013, I know what your going through, the 1st year is the hardest to get through. I was very close to my Dad.

Take the agitator completely off, then start a cycle with NO CLOTHES in it, then watch your transmission shaft to see if its moving back and forth in the wash cycle when it should be agitating.

Here's the agitator for your model, when you click the link to it you will see a video on HOW TO remove it:

Jake

Shuffle

Premium Member
Just tried your suggestion and The transmission shaft is moving back and forth One thing I did try Jake was I put the agitator bottom half back on to see if it would seat properly on the spline, I noticed that the insert inside that agitator doesn't seem to catch on the splines from the transmission, could it be the teeth inside the agitator have smoothed out and aren't catching on the transmission spline causing it not to agitate?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, That lower agitator spline being stripped sounds like the problem.

See if you can hold the transmission shaft with your hand around the splines while its agitating.

The reason to hold your hand on it is to make sure it doesn't stop agitating with your hand holding onto it.:)

If your HAND does NOT stop it from agitating, then its definity the lower agitator you will need.

I checked the price of just the lower agitator, and its higher than the complete agitator assembly I posted the link to above in post #6. So its best to order the complete agitator assembly.

Here's just the lower agitator by-itself:

You can see its currently $86.94 vs the complete assembly in post #6 is $83.80.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Shuffle

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, ordered that kit now have to wait for it come and then swap out parts and see what happens. I will report back when I have it swapped around

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Shuffle, sounds good, yes let us know.:)

Jake

Shuffle

Premium Member
Hi Jake, well that Kit did the trick, when I looked at the new agitator and compared it with the old one you could see pretty clearly btwn the splines on the new one there was much more meat to the teeth on it and on the old one the teeth were kind of worn smooth, it looks like the teeth on the old one just didnt have any grab when seated on the transmission shaft. With the new one on though it agitates like a champ, we did a test load of laundry with the new one and no more soapy stained clothes and they seem to be a lot less wet after a spin cycle

Appreciate all the help and suggestions and of course the solution...I was worried we were heading into new washing machine territory for a while. Thanks again for all your time and answering all the questions I had

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Shuffle, glad to hear the new agitator assembly kit fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake