FIXED Kenmore Ultra Wash III soap door won't close-Spring Help

drewty

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello Jake,
I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash III (665.1684993 built-in dishwasher). The spring in the soap door has become unhinged or something. Will not spring open anymore.
I seem to have all the parts still here, but cannot figure out how to 'reset' the spring.

Help!

Last edited:

drewty

Premium Member
Yes! Exactly! The door latch, pin, dispenser door, all appear OK. But the spring is not popping the door open when needed. It is loose right now.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reset it.

Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

drewty

Premium Member
Tried

Jake,
Do you have a pic of the spring INSTALLED? I can't figure it out without a visual aid, I am afraid.

Thanks again,

Drew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I just took 3 photos of my own Kenmore dishwasher dispenser door.:)

Attachments

drewty

Premium Member
Fixed!

Jake,
Thanks! All I needed was a photo. Got it hinged properly now and works great!

Thanks again,

Drew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Great job Drew!:)

Jake

Chriseggs

Premium Member
Jake-

This is a little old, but I have the same problem. The picture is great, but I still cant figure it out. Any change you can take a picture of the spring when the lid is closed? I am struggling to understand where the ends of the springs connect or are placed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If I take a photo with it closed you will not be able to see the spring at all.

Click the 2nd photo you will see the 2 spring ends just rest with tension on the inner door liner.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

onegt4me

Jake, I have a Kenmore 665.1652900. The dishwasher was given to me and was told it worked great, they upgraded to a stainless steel. Anyway, does the soap dispenser door suppose to spring shut? Mine is identical to the one in your pictures. My door doesn't have any snap, spring or nothing that will hold it shut. I've read all replies and the two ends to the spring do not touch anything to give it tension. Do you think I need to replace the spring. I called Sears and they said I would need the whole dispenser that they didn't sell those parts. However, I did find the spring and rod replacement at sears.com. Just want to be sure before I order.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

MIKEINMN

Premium Member
The issue we are having with ours is that there seems to be good spring tension but the latch part is not releasing the lid to dispense the detergent. When I slide the latch back the lid pops open with no issue, so I don't believe the spring is the problem. Is there maybe some interference(insulation?) from when I previously replaced the thermal fuse? How does this activate during the wash cycle?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike, You have a completely different dispenser than in this thread.

Yours is activated with a solenoid within the back of the dispenser.

Here's the dispenser assembly for your model you can order here: Manufacturer's Number: W10224456

Jake

MIKEINMN

Premium Member
Ours is MODEL# 665.15654000 so I believe it is a different version than what you suggested. Sorry I should have included that in the previous post.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thanks.

More than likely you will need to change the linkage assembly in the inner door, Lots of times they will just either cake up with detergent or wear out.

Here's the actuator assembly for your model:

Manufacturer part number WP3369505

Jake

krolling

I have the same issue. The soap dispenser door will not open during a wash cycle. I took the panel off and a spring was just laying there. It is not broken. How do I replace it correctly? It is the spring that is about 2 inches long (not the same one shown in the picture above)