Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the dispenser parts diagram that shows both springs:
(click to enlarge)
K0312042-00002.jpg

Which one is broken?

Here's the #8 spring for your model:
WP3368999 Spring, Detergent Cup

If its the #8 spring, Its been a few years since I replaced that spring, but if I remember correctly: hook one end of the spring on stationary pin on inside of slider bar. Hook other end of spring on pin on slider bar.

Here's the #10 spring:
WP8066018 Detergent Lid Spring

Watch this video to replace the #10 spring:

[video=youtube;tei5Xt-p1SA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tei5Xt-p1SA[/video]

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake

susanleeb52

More spring help?

Hi Jake,

I have read what I think are all the threads about fixing the spring on soap dispenser of the Kenmore Ultra Wash, including peering diligently at the pictures you so kindly posted. I *still* can't figure out how to get the spring set correctly, and have now broken two hinge pins in my attempt to fix it. I can't see in the pics where the two pointy ends of the spring are supposed to go. Also, is there some tip for getting the hinge pin out to reset the spring without breaking it? I'm just going to order two this time to give us a fighting chance, but would love any assistance you could give. Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Sorry, I must of missed your post.

I updated my post #21 above and added a video to show you how to replace it.

Jake

SpringTrouble

Premium Member
I'm having problems with this still, even after reading all the posts on this thread and the AppliancePartsPros video. For some reason I can't see photos that people posted in their messages...

In any case, here's my situation: I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash 3, and the soap dispenser latch opens when it should; however the door does not spring open and therefore the soap barely gets dispensed. I've tried replacing the spring, but it doesn't fix the issue. It seems like the spring just sits on top of the little notch, but doesn't have any tension (which I imagine is needed to get that springing action and have the door open all the way, as it shows that it should in the video).

Here are pictures of my setup. I'd greatly appreciate any help here! Thanks.

IMG_6228.jpg
IMG_6229.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

SpringTrouble

Premium Member
Jake- thanks for responding (even after all these years!). The pictures that I posted are using a brand new spring. I even bought two of them and both have the same issue.

I also tried using this kit and replacing the door and rod in addition to the spring itself: 4387043 Detergent Dispenser Cover

It seems like the spring is just sitting there loose and has no tension. When I open the door by hand the spring rotates with the door. I imagine that the spring should stay fixed in place to maintain its tension.

SpringTrouble

Premium Member
Quick update- I rewatched it he video and figured out how to properly seat the spring to hold the tension. It’s working now! Thanks for your help!